Menu

Which Lial's book to use after CLE 6?

Joy will be completing CLE 6 in about three weeks. She has done very well throughout the entire level. I had been planning to move right into Lial's Pre-Algebra, but have seen so many references to BCM, that I'm wondering if I should hold off. She is a full year ahead in math and will be starting 6th grade officially in August.

I know some people feel that slowing things down to allow time for brain to mature and be able to handle the more complex, less concrete thinking involved in Algebra is a good plan, but I don't know if that is necessary for Joy. I know I would have benefitted from a slower approach at that age, but I was not mathematically inclined and went steadily downhill from 5th grade on.

I believe Joy's lowest score on any of the CLE 6 tests or quizzes was an 88%, if that's helpful.

Thanks!

Thank you both for your responses. I think, due to the linked thread info, and the fact that dd has completed CLE 6 so successfully, that we will continue with the plan of going with Pre-Algebra. I will still invest in the BCM because I'm sure at least one of her brothers will need it.

Caveat: We do not have experience with CLE. 

My DD did MM through the old level 6 and just finished Lial's Pre-Algebra.  IMO, it was solid, but is not overly difficult.  In fact, DD found it a considerable step down in difficultly from MM.  So much so that we will be supplementing Pre-Algebra with selected chapters from AoPS over the rest of the summer.  I'd like her to go a bit deeper in certain areas before starting Foersters Algebra in the fall.  HTH.

I have been faithfully working through the pre-algebra book, and am doing just fine with it. I think I can help her with any hurdles she may have, but I haven't run into anything drastically different from what she has been doing in CLE. She should be good to go.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it, Mom of JoJo. :)