Menu

Two Gentlemen of Verona or Henry IV Part 1? (Live)

We will possibly be passing through Stratford Upon Avon in July. And I might have a choice between seeing Two Gentlemen of Verona or Henry IV part 1. Which would you choose?

The dates may not work out for an actual choice, but I'd like opinions anyway :)

Oh, lucky you!!  And jealous me!!  I love Henry IV, but I find that whole sequence among the most difficult of the plays.  The themes about conflict between fathers and sons are intense and interesting.  It's harder to follow.  I guess it depends on how familiar your son(s) are with Shakespeare - I wouldn't pick it as a first staged play for my kid to see, but your son is older.  OTOH, it would be fascinating to see how they stage the battle scenes! 

I have to confess I haven't seen or read Two Gentlemen, but as a comedy about love and infidelity, it's no doubt lighter and easier to follow - I'd probably pick it for my girls at this point, but if I had a 13 yo who was reasonably familiar with Shakespeare I'd probably pick Henry.

Ok, well that helps.  Henry IV Part 1 is more likely (because of the dates).  Battle scenes are good :)  The 13 year old is quite into Shakespeare.  The 20 year old and DH will also be there, and it sounds like they would probably prefer the Henry IV.

If they're performed in different places, I'd choose based on the theater - the smaller Swan Theatre in Stratford makes for a much more engaging performance. (Still performances by the Royal Shakespeare Company, just in the more intimate, theater-in-the-round setting. The Swan Theatre is attached to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.) I have such fond memories of a performance of Two Gentlemen of Verona I saw there many years ago.

But it's hard to go wrong with the RSC. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, plans have changed and we won't be in England this summer.  But I am keeping it on my hope-to-get-there-while-I-live-in-Europe list :) And when it looks possible again, I think I will try to go with basketcase's suggestion about The Swan Theatre - it does look like the best venue.

We might try to get to Copehagen for HamletScenen.  After all, every summer deserves a little Shakespeare in it, right? :lol:

Well, plans have changed and we won't be in England this summer.  But I am keeping it on my hope-to-get-there-while-I-live-in-Europe list :) And when it looks possible again, I think I will try to go with basketcase's suggestion about The Swan Theatre - it does look like the best venue.

We might try to get to Copehagen for HamletScenen.  After all, every summer deserves a little Shakespeare in it, right? :lol:

I totally agree! We're getting in a professional performance of Romeo & Juliet and a student performance of Twelfth Night, at the very least!