Menu

math curriculum that's a fit for mom/teacher?

Chasing3

I homeschooled one child this year (4th grade) who I am fairly convinced has a touch of dyscalculia. Math-U-See has been great. We started with Alpha as intensive remediation and got through Beta and Gamma. We're going to start Delta this summer and should be through Epislon next year. I may have a touch of dyscalculia myself, but managed to get through in life, went to a liberal arts college, and never took a college math course. Math-U-See seems also great for me as I have to be the teacher and I look ahead to the harder content and am hopeful that the dvd lessons and mastery approach will be easy for me to help guide my son.

ANYWAY, now older ds wants to homeschool. He will be a 7th grader and is quite facile with math. He's no genious, but he's much better than I. I'm wondering if something a little more than Math-U-See would be better for him. BUT, I know my eyes will glaze over with Saxon and I"m not sure I can adequately teach it. Tutors or Kumon is an option. But, perhaps a different math curricula is a better option for the first year homeschooling. I'm leaning to Teaching Textbooks also because of the dvd lesson format. I also kind of figured if it really is behind other programs, then couldn't a good math student move at a faster pace and get farther along, therefore not be behind?

I've also bookmarked a ton of math website and even found a link to one that has Saxon aligned video instruction. Maybe that would be enough for me?

Anyone have thoughts for a good math program to use when the parent is not strong in math?

Saxon with Saxon Teaching DVDs {LIFESAVERS! We do not like the DIVEs or Art Reed.}

Teaching Textbooks

{not behind, just slower. It covers all the topics just at a slower pace, so I have heard. Yes, he could speed through the simple stuff.}

Bob Jones with Distance Learning DVD

Basically, anything YOU don't have to teach but you can help if he gets stuck. Or Khan Academy can help if you both get stuck.

I think MUS will work fine for you.  Since he is a good math student, he is unlikely to need you in the equation. My kids are not using MUS as designed with teaching me, then doing the worksheets...they just watch the dvd, do the worksheets, then do the test.  It is very rare for me to have to help a student (long division was an exception).  My kids like that the video instruction is short and to the point, and enjoy the independence.  I have not found MUS requiring much knowledge from me at all!  (Now, my oldest is using Forester Algebra for a more solid algebra program, and I help tremendously more with that!!  His brother does it independently, though.)  My 3 oldest kids all love MUS, and their math ability ranges from excellent to poor.

All I know is that the only way *I* can get a student all the way through high school math is using Saxon, and me doing every problem along with the student. EVERY single last problem.

I need to check their work. EVERY problem. It's never worked for me to let a student check their own work.

I don't need DVDs or solution manuals, If we READ the books, and stop and review when we get slow or start making too many mistakes.

There just are NO shortcuts for ME.