Menu

Question about Saxon Advanced Math...

So I was reading the preface and it said that for the student who completed Algebra 2 in 10th grade, Advanced Math is a four semester course. It only has 125 lessons, so does that mean we only do half a lesson a day? The preface also stated that only students who completed Algebra 2 in 9th grade and are highly motivated should do the Advanced Math in one year. Well, my daughter is a hard worker and she "gets" math although she's not gifted. In fact, even though she doesn't love it, math is her best subject, as she is dyslexic and every other subject is hard because it involves words. Would I burn her out to do this in one year? I had wanted to do calc with her her senior year. It seems like 125 lessons in a year is very doable, as all the other Saxon higher math texts had more than that and we easily finished in a year. Perhaps this content is more difficult though?

Why not just start by doing a lesson a day, and if she gets frustrated, drop back to half? In other words, you don't need to make a plan NOW and stick to it.

:iagree:This is my plan. I'm expecting we can go at full pace for 30 lessons or so before we need to drop to half. When, or if, we drop back, we'll be doing odds one day and evens the next.

My other thought is to simply put a time limit on math. She works for 1-2 hours and calls it a day. Then your daughter can pick math up at the point she ended the day before. :001_smile:

As I recall, the lessons in Advanced Math are much longer. Whereas each lesson in the previous books can usually be read and the problems worked in about an hour, the AM lessons take more time to read. I would figure about two hours per lesson.

We are currently using it. This is how I understand the 4 semesters work: His sophomore year, my ds did lessons 1-90 and called it Advanced Algebra/Trigonometry/Geometry. Basically the lesson took 2 days; the first day was watching the video and doing the first 15 problems. The second day, he completed the last 15 problems. (2 semesters)

His junior year, he will go back to Advanced Math lesson 60 thru 125, complete those and then complete the first 25 lessons in the Calculus book. That course will be called Pre-Calculus. Again doing 15 problems one day and the last 15 problems the second day. (2 semesters)

His senior year, he will complete the Calculus book and that will be called Calculus.

HTH

Guest Lovemylovebugs

My son used this book last year. He completed it in one year. On average he finished one lesson a day. Some lessons took two days but not many. He only completes 15 problems in each lesson either the evens or the odds. He got an a+ in the class and scored many 100% on the tests doing it this way. He also spent 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day on math. He will move on to calculus this year.

Hope this helps.