Menu

HOD fans....question about Preparing and CTC

michaeljenn

I am trying to decide if I should do Preparing or CTC for my daughter who will be 10 in July.  She was in public school last year, and since she had a late summer birthday, we decided to hold her back when she started kindergarten.  She was not very challenged in school last year at all... she did not make below a 95 on her report card, and missed 2 questions on the dreaded STAR tests.  We did a placement test for Saxon and she placed in 6/5... so basically we are bumping her up to 5th grade material.  Now to my main question.... Should I do preparing or ctc with her this fall?  She did a lot of writing in school, but not written narrations.  She did not have to read 1 novel in school... not 1!!! But I made her read a few at night, but not much, as she is a competitive gymnast and was at the gym 4 nights a week and we just did not have time.  I don't want her to feel too bogged down because I want her to enjoy school, but I don't want it to be too easy either.  IF we do Preparing for her 5th grade year, then CTC for her 6th grade year, that means she will be off track to start HOD high school guides.... but I could always beef up Missions to Marvel for High School.  What is your advice here?!?!?!  Why am I making this so difficult.  I already have Preparing and I honestly love the book choices....science seems light, but I could always add on?  Help!!

From what you said, I'm guessing she'd do great in either guide.  My 10yods (turning 11 in late October) is doing CtC now and though it's a challenge, he's really doing well but he's come up through the guides and is actually a few months ahead of where I like to start CtC but that's just the way it has worked out for him.  I like CtC for fifth grade for the same reasons you do - it makes it nice and neat to continue the guides into high school :)

If she is turning 10 in July, wouldn't she technically be in fourth grade?    I would probably just place her in Preparing and see how it goes.  I don't worry too much about grade levels and I definitely wouldn't up a child's grade based on a Saxon placement test.  I've got a son who has always been two or three grade levels ahead in math but that doesn't change his official "grade" in my head.  

Preparing is such a nice year for getting a "big picture" of the sweep of history and since she's going to have an adjustment just from moving from school to home it would probably make a nice transition year for her.  Like you said, you can always adjust things for her later as she heads into high school if you need to.

I would advise you to look at the level of difficulty that comes by switching to CTC. It is a pretty big jump from Preparing. Preparing really IS a preparation for more advanced work that comes starting in CTC. It lays a foundation and since you mentioned she hasn't really done a lot of reading or written narrations, I am thinking that Preparing would be the way to go.

Choose some of the books in the package, head over to Christianbook.com and look over the level/amount/content of the reading. One book I am thinking of specifically is The Story of the Ancient World. I would lean towards keeping school easier for you daughter as she transitions into homeschooling and add on to her program with extra readings or projects rather than starting with something that is going to be too challenging. Plus she will have a program she could stick with for the rest of her school years if she does well with it if you start with Preparing. Don't forget to look at the placement guide on HOD website. 

I agree with the ladies above. Especially, don't up your child's grade level in all subjects just because she places high in math. My dd takes English by storm, but math she is slower in. Reading and comp she is great, but writing out narriations is a bit harder for her. My dd is about 1 year younger than your's, but she has been doing HOD and CM off and on since she was 2 yo. We find Preparing to be a bit of a challenge. There is no way I would head into CTC. 

Whatever you decide I hope it all works out great!