Menu

Need to decide for language arts

mamiof5

Hi everyone!  OK, confession time... I am a curriculum junkie, I like it all and love to browse over here to check out all the great suggestions, and have a hard time saying no.  Trying to put LA together for next year is getting out of control!  Some help would be appreciated!

This is what I have so far:

For 4th grader

R&S English 4

AAS 3

Seton Reading Comprehension & Thinking Skills 4

Writing & Rethoric CAP books 1 and 2

Inside Stories, Book 1: Study Guides for Children's Literature, Grades 3-4

Wordly wise 3000 level 2

Handwriting without tears

For 3rd grader

R&S English 3

AAS 3

Seton Reading Comprehension 3

Some writing program (can't remember the name right now)

Inside Stories, Book 1: Study Guides for Children's Literature, Grades 3-4

Wordly wise 3000 level 2

Handwriting without tears - cursive

for 1st grader

FLL1

Writing about me/writing about my world books

AAS 1

Handwriting without tears

Nature readers

He just finished "How to teach your kids to read in 100 lessons" and reading more fluently is finally clicking in.  Debating if we are doing the Little readers workbooks or if those would be too simple for him?

So...here's the problem.  On top of all these, the Seton Freedom Readers are REALLY calling my name (for the 3 of them, just at their grade level), and also the Seton phonics books look like so much fun.  Not sure I can add more LA for any of them though!  It already seems like we have more than enough?  I do like the phonics, but would hope that somehow in the other programs we are covering phonics? 

Why are there so many "branches" to LA and so many good materials? I mean, is it really necessary to reinforce phonics in a separate "area"?  I want to make sure I have a solid LA program, but don't have enough time in the year to try them all, unless we want to just learn LA and forget the rest of the subjects :lol: