Menu

Would You Do LL8 as the precursor to LLfrom LOTR or something else?

Hey All,

I have been absent from the boards for a while.  My entire life was turned upside down in early November when my amazing husband and soulmate for 24 years died in a boating accident.  I am now homeschooling our three kids while running our business.  I tell you all this NOT to gain sympathy or anything like that, but to give you a frame of reference for my question.  

I want to stay as engaged as possible in their schoolwork, but now have to have them be much more independent than they used to be because our business MUST come first or no one eats.  

So...

For DS 13, my voracious reader, I KNOW that we will do LLfrom LOTR in 9th.  He has done tons of MBTP units in the past and several John Hopkins CTY classes.  I am looking for something different for 8th and like the looks of LL8 (even though he has read The Hobbit many times for fun and once for MBTP).

Thoughts?  Can he do this pretty much on his own with a little discussion with me and it still be a good solid step before LOTR for 9th?  Anyone have any other suggestions? 

TIA!

MMM

:grouphug: Oh my, so very sorry for your sudden and unexpected loss!  :grouphug:

For DS 13, my voracious reader, I KNOW that we will do LLfrom LOTR in 9th.  He has done tons of MBTP units in the past and several John Hopkins CTY classes.  I am looking for something different for 8th and like the looks of LL8 (even though he has read The Hobbit many times for fun and once for MBTP).

Thoughts?  Can he do this pretty much on his own with a little discussion with me and it still be a good solid step before LOTR for 9th?  Anyone have any other suggestions? 

We've done LL7, LL8 and LLftLotR. Either way, it would not be a problem to do:

- LL8 first in 8th grade and then LLftLotR in 9th grade (what we did with DS#1)

- OR, do LLftLotR first in 8th grade, and then LL8 in 9th grade (what we did with DS#2).

Both levels of LL7 and LL8, AND LLftLotR can be done largely independently, as they are written to the student, and have workpages to fill out so you, the parent can see how they are progressing, and also with answers, so you can discuss with the student. And either program works fine as the position of first or second Lit. program.

My only thought is that, if DS has already done CTY classes specifically in Literature and literary analysis, he may find LL8 AND LLftLotR to be too "lite"… On the other hand, if DS esp. loves the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he may still love doing LLftLotR -- AND, have fun "going deeper" with some of the ideas and resources listed in this thread: "Any serious Tolkien fans?"

Blessings to you and your children, and BEST of luck in planning next year, and as you juggle all the responsibilities that have come with SUCH a life-changing event. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you ladies.  

We've done LL7, LL8 and LLftLotR. Either way, it would not be a problem to do:

- LL8 first in 8th grade and then LLftLotR in 9th grade (what we did with DS#1)

- OR, do LLftLotR first in 8th grade, and then LL8 in 9th grade (what we did with DS#2).

Both levels of LL7 and LL8, AND LLftLotR can be done largely independently, as they are written to the student, and have workpages to fill out so you, the parent can see how they are progressing, and also with answers, so you can discuss with the student. And either program works fine as the position of first or second Lit. program.

Lori D., is there a specific reason you decided to do them in reverse order the second go round?

Thank you ladies.  

Lori D., is there a specific reason you decided to do them in reverse order the second go round?

Short version:

So they could do LLftLotR together. :) We all preferred to do Lit. and History together; we got so much more out of discussion with 3 of us together.

Long version:

It's the way it worked out grade-wise to be able to do LL7 & LL8 & LLftLotR for DD#2.

DSs were only 1 grade a part, and LL had just put out the middle school levels the year that DSs were gr. 7/8, and it would be DS#1's only chance to do LL8; so we did it that year, while DS#2 did LL7 in 7th. Then for grades 8/9, they were at the perfect stage literary analysis-wise to do LLftLotR, so we did that program together. Then for grades 9/10, DS#2 really wanted to do the books in LL8, so we did both separate and together Lit. to accommodate that. After that, we went back to all together Lit for 2 years, until DS#1 graduated.

grades 7/8 = separate = DS#2 = LL7 and DS#1 = LL8

grades 8/9 = together = LLftLotR -- AND -- Ancient classics to go with History

grades 9/10 = separate = DS#2 = LL8, DS#1 = a sci-fi focus Lit. -- AND -- together = Modern classics to go with History

grades 10/11 = together = American Lit to go with American History

grades 11/12 = together = British Lit

grade 12 = DS#2 solo = "Kitchen Sink" Lit (a lot of works we hadn't gotten to previously)

Not very scientific. ;) Just how it all fell into place for us due to ages/grades/needs/interests at the time. Warmest regards, Lori D.