Menu

Language arts help

3girls4me

Hi,

I am trying to finish up planning our year for language arts. Right now we are planning to use CLE for language arts (grammar, spelling and handwriting) and CLE reading. We will do 1 day a week Beginning Reading and Reasoning. (Because CAP suggests just one day) We will keep our noses in good literature all year and do perhaps a guide now and then. That leaves writing - both mechanical and creative. Oh and this is for a 4th grade girl. We have W&R Fables. What else could I use for writing to round this out? I have bought EIW and some BW materials but I'm not sold on either yet.

Thanks!!!

I suppose that while I am smitten by the look of W&R, I'm not 100% sure I feel like it's thorough enough for a 4th grader who isn't a super writer. As I look at the table of contents of EIW, I see persuasive writing, informational reports, friendly letters, parts of a paragraph, etc..... So a traditional approach I am used to. So I guess I am wondering if that is needed at this point. So far she hasn't done that and it seems like it's time. W&R feels like a fun bonus, not the "meat" she needs, but I could be totally wrong about that since I've never used it. I just know that the more I try to plan out our daily language arts schedule, at this rate, it's going to take up half our day. So something has to give!!

I really want to keep CLE language arts and reading. But I just can't keep EIW and W&R I don't think.

However, I just took a look again at the table of contents of EIW and the first half is grammar, so I suppose I could skip all that and only do half of the lessons. That would cut down how many times a week I would have to do it! Yet it feels like throwing away half of the cost. Ugh!