Menu

Needing to go to workbook/DVDs...suggestions?

I.Dup.

I have tried to keep up with "eclectic/CM" approach but it is no longer working. I am discouraged and needing to figure out a different way of doing things now that I have more kids to educate (my littles are getting older). I need to scrap my ideals and just go to what is going to get done. :closedeyes:

I tried Sonlight this year for history, spent so much time piecing it together (to save money instead of buying a core), and my book-loving, literature-adoring daughter wanted nothing to do with it because it was "school." :glare:

She does do really well with CLE light units, so I am thinking of adding in more of that approach into more subjects than just math. Honestly, even R&S English was a stretch for her because it required the text book, the work book, the tests, and further assignments written in her journal. That was just too much to keep track of for 1 subject. She has ADD and so do I, and that is also why I'm thinking a strictly open-and-go workbook approach will work best.

What have you tried and loved in a workbook or DVD, open-and-go approach for Language Arts, SS/history, and science?

I am trying the Get Smart grammar program right now, but also have Analytical Grammar on tap and have give SOS language arts a go.  SOS doesn't give enough information before quizzing, IMO.  We also supplement with Coursera writing courses and have used Writebrane's materials in the past.  For the youngers I supplement with Grammaropolis, etc.  For history, in the past I've used VP self-paced and just given textbook reading assignments.  Right now we are using a TC video series and supplementing with a Coursera course covering the same time period.  Science we do a lot of different things.  Coursera has some excelllent classes. We are also using Fascinating Education. I like Plato's middle school science but haven't tried the high school. 

We deal with ADHD here as well.  I have started using a checklist system for the kids.  They have independent tasks they can do either before or after school and then I supervise the video based lesson times.  The combination of the checklist plus more open studies helps keep us all on track (so far).  :hat:

BJU DVD's {still a lot to juggle, like ABeka, not always the most up-to-date editions for the DVD versions}

McRuffy LA and Math [science, too, but I have not used it] {short and sweet, often with treats.}

CLE Lang Arts and Reading {no writing instruction}

Time 4 Learning {you can set a schedule by week}

K12 Independent {you even have a set daily schedule!}

Make a checklist for the week.

History and Science? Not sure. Mine liked Critical Thinking's Reading {NOT the Rx book} and Science Detective books.

Umm, Memoria Press study guides? Very straight forward.

HTH!