Menu

anybody have a child in or has been in vo-tech high school

anybody have a child in or had been in vo-tech high school? dd is doing 9th grade work here at home this year (has always been homeschooled) but is thinking about maybe going to vo-tech next year for 10th. We missed the deadline for this year. The school tests all applicates starting in Jan and continuing into June for the next year. I believe that it is the IOWA test that they have to take, I have a friend whose son took the test 2 years ago and did not pass it so took it again this year and was accepted into the school.

Anyway, the reason dd is considering the school is that she wants to be a pastry chef and this school offers that and for their 11th and 12th grade years they do dual enrollment with the local community college which is well known for their culinary school.

The vo-tech high school offers both full time academics with tech classes and also has the option for shared time with the student only taking the tech classes there. Their academic classes are college prep and honors. I believe that homeschooled students have to register with their local public school in order to get bus transportation? I have not spoken with anyone at the vo-tech school yet, but they are having an open house in Oct. so we plan on going to that and just "get a feeling " for the school.

Just wanted to know anyone else's experience with vo-tech. Thanks.

We toured ours when my oldest was beginning high school, since he thought he might like to go that route, but it was far, far from college prep. A great place for some students, but not for this one. :) On the other hand, I've heard good things about our local agricultural high school.

-Nan

This is how I graduated high school, I was also going for beauty school. Looking back on it, it was like home school, you did your work at your own pace, tookk the chapter test, and completed the book. I would do school classes in the morning and focused classes in the afternoon. I am not sure how they are done now, but it was the best for me at the time. Good luck.

anybody have a child in or had been in vo-tech high school?

...my ex-husband went this route when we were in high school, and he graduated able to go to work for a company as a graphic artist, and started his own business soon after. (He still works as a graphic artist).

It was awesome for him. He went to Vo-Tech during the mornings, and came back to our 'regular' school for some afternoon classes.

ETA: I'd absolutely consider this for a child of mine that had an interest that was covered by a vo-tech that was comparable to the one I have experience with. I'm sure they're not all created equal...but the ability to graduate and be able to start work in a field is huge.