Menu

Spelling?

nwmama

We've been using AAS for DS1 for 1st this year but now I'm wondering if I can find something else that might be cheaper and still fit what I'm looking for. I use OPGTR & FLL so I just want a basic spelling program since I already have my other language arts taken care of. I want it to use phonograms and I prefer programs that I can easily reuse with multiple children. Is there anything that fits all of that?

Has anyone used Learning to Spell Through Copywork or used copywork to teach spelling?

I'm doing Spalding at the moment (first time attempting this) but usually I use Sequential Spelling (I have the AAS tiles but don't use the program).

You only really need the teacher guides. There's some interesting activities in the student workbook, but we've grown tired of them.

For my other children moving into SeqSpell I'll only use the teacher guides. So that pretty much means I don't have to buy a spelling program again.

Don't switch.  Stay the course with the Orton Gillingham phonics!!!  It will reap great dividends later.  You won't know until 3rd grade or higher, if your child has a difficulty with spelling.  They easily memorize easy words.  Then suddenly you are stuck with realizing that your 4th grader cannot spell at all.  O-G phonics and spelling is worth your time investment.  I only wish AAS and AAR were around when we started!  

I had the same conundrum, and this forum told me that what I was looking for was How To Teach Spelling. There are cheap workbooks that go with it, but you could use the manual (along with the AAS tiles if that's your thing) and nothing else and be set.

Now, HTTS isn't open-and-go like AAS. I'm planning to devote some time this summer with HTTS, a pencil, and a pad of paper.