Menu

Talk to me about tall tales, please!

AMJ

When I was in high school, in American literature class we covered tall tales, including many that I grew up with, like Paul Bunyan. My question is this: are tall tales strictly an American literary feature, or do other nations and cultures have their own? Where can we find out about tall tales from around the world?

Other countries have them too! When DS was in Preschool we did Sonlight and read a book called "Stories from Around the World" and it contained "Tall Tale" type stories form all over- and it's a beautiful book too :)

DS will be reading American Tall Tales next year :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0794501109/ref=aw_d_dsc_books?qid=1400211160&sr=8-1

That is an interesting question, and I would like to hear what people say. Mary Pope Osborne, in the introduction to her book, American Tall Tales, says they are American. I love this genre. Core Knowledge has tall tales as part of literature in several early grades. Specific editions are recommended in CK Books to Build On -- I have most of theses, and they are great. Boy Scouts also has a Bear level award for tall tales -- ds did it, fun.

Sorry, I haven't answered your question,, but wanted to add that I also like trickster tales, such as the Anansi ones from Africa.

ETA wiki has a few from other cultures, but mainly American, fwiw.

Jim Weiss has an American Tall Tales cd.