Menu

CC vs TOG

nwmama

We've been in CC for 2 years now and, for the most part, we've enjoyed it. I like the presentations, the social interaction, that it's a classically focused community. But the cost is more an issue than last year.

So I just found out about a TOG co-op in the area. It sounds like it actually fits better with SOTW than CC even though they don't actually use SOTW. The cost is a fraction of the cost of CC. What I don't know yet is if their language arts will work with my WWE/BW or how focused they are on the logic or rhetoric stages, though those are off in the distance for my kids.

I'd love more information about what TOG is actually like and how it fits with my curriculums.

CC is costing me $500 per kid, which granted most goes to the director and tutor and after tutoring 1 year, I know they earn every penny. But the TOG co-op will cost me about $200 for all 3 kids. This seems to be a no brainer so am I missing something?

I haven't used TOG, though it's one I'm strongly considering for a couple of years from now. My understanding is that TOG doesn't include phonics or grammar at all, so whatever you're using should be fine there, and the writing is in an optional resource called Writing Aids, not necessarily included in the core curriculum. I would think that the curriculum itself would work with whatever writing you're doing, though of course I don't know about the co-op.

Spend some time on their website and get their free sample weeks and spend some time with them. CC and TOG are very different, especially at your kids' ages. If you have a TOG co-op I'd see if there are even grammar students in the co-op. The one we used to have in our area was mostly dialectic level middle schoolers.

We did CC the last 3 years and just started TOG. I've bought one unit of curric and maybe $20 of books, using library for the rest of the resources. We use TOG topics for writing topics, but also still use a separate LA program at this point. I received excellent advice on here to start very slowly and we have, and are enjoying it. We will add map work to our reading next week, then projects of oldest's choosing (with mom veto power).

Sounds like you could have a really lovely situation with Tapestry if there are some age-/learning-level mates for your kids. I'm jealous of you co-op availability. ;)

I agree that CC and TOG are very different!  For CC, the focus for grammar school really is on memorization.  For TOG, the focus is more on books -- lots of great books for history and literature.  TOG is much richer!  There are also go-along timelines (some dates are recommended for memory), vocabulary words, maps and geography, worksheets to go with the literature books, suggested hands-on activities, etc.  For dialectic, there are discussion questions to complete from the history reading and socratic discussions once a week, which I assume would happen with the co-op.  I'd choose TOG!!

Spend some time on their website and get their free sample weeks and spend some time with them. CC and TOG are very different, especially at your kids' ages. If you have a TOG co-op I'd see if there are even grammar students in the co-op. The one we used to have in our area was mostly dialectic level middle schoolers.

We did CC the last 3 years and just started TOG. I've bought one unit of curric and maybe $20 of books, using library for the rest of the resources. We use TOG topics for writing topics, but also still use a separate LA program at this point. I received excellent advice on here to start very slowly and we have, and are enjoying it. We will add map work to our reading next week, then projects of oldest's choosing (with mom veto power).

Sounds like you could have a really lovely situation with Tapestry if there are some age-/learning-level mates for your kids. I'm jealous of you co-op availability. ;)

There are a couple other families with grammar aged kids and they are families that I already slightly know. Plus they don't require purchasing any books, though I'd certainly spend less on books for TOG than on CC. I'm definitely getting talked into TOG.

Well, you could always try it out one year and see how you like it, especially with the ages of your dc.  OTOH, you would miss the 3rd year of the CC cycle, so you might want to stay out 3 years and then go back to CC if you felt like it.  Isn't it wonderful to have so many options?!! 

:)

Brenda

I agree that CC and TOG are very different!  For CC, the focus for grammar school really is on memorization.  For TOG, the focus is more on books -- lots of great books for history and literature.  TOG is much richer!  There are also go-along timelines (some dates are recommended for memory), vocabulary words, maps and geography, worksheets to go with the literature books, suggested hands-on activities, etc.  For dialectic, there are discussion questions to complete from the history reading and socratic discussions once a week, which I assume would happen with the co-op.  I'd choose TOG!!

This is why I think TOG would be a better fit. I've already got all the songs from CC and TOG has amazing art and science classes and I can supplement music myself so it seems like the only thing missing from CC is presentations, which they start doing in this TOG co-op in 3rd grade. And I like that even though there is homework for some of the classes, if the parent chooses not to require it, the choice is with the parent, at least in the grammar stage. And I love all the books they are doing, we already have half of them!

Well, you could always try it out one year and see how you like it, especially with the ages of your dc.  OTOH, you would miss the 3rd year of the CC cycle, so you might want to stay out 3 years and then go back to CC if you felt like it.  Isn't it wonderful to have so many options?!! 

:)

Brenda

Moving from a smaller city to a bigger one has certainly helped my options! There are hordes of CC groups in my area now, whereas where we moved from there was one and enough people interested for 3. But I love that TOG is now an option too for those who like classical homeschooling but can't afford CC.

I'm ready to call the CC director and cancel our registration for next year and sign up for the TOG co-op but since I've only been thinking about it for a day, I'm making myself wait for a week  :toetap05:

• 9 months later...

I love this discussion! What did you decide? I'd love to hear your thoughts with whatever you decided!

I was planning to go with TOG next year but it's not very popular on the west coast so there are no co-op options available. The community aspect of CC is appealing but that's a hefty price tag just for community. I'm torn. I want the richness of TOG but the community of CC. And I know I wouldn't be able to do both well (and it would stress me out to try). Ugh.

Smarson--I can see where the community aspect of CC would be good at your ages, especially if you're trying to meet homeschoolers in your area to set up play dates and develop buddies for your kids. CCA worked really nicely this was for us. However, you should be aware that most of CC is school time and not a lot of playtime or kid interaction. Lunchtime always seemed rushed in our community and then it was off to Essentials or afternoon activities. Just an FYI.

I love this discussion! What did you decide? I'd love to hear your thoughts with whatever you decided!

I was planning to go with TOG next year but it's not very popular on the west coast so there are no co-op options available. The community aspect of CC is appealing but that's a hefty price tag just for community. I'm torn. I want the richness of TOG but the community of CC. And I know I wouldn't be able to do both well (and it would stress me out to try). Ugh.

You could always start a TOG co-op or just make friends with homeschoolers that don't use the same stuff :)

Smarson--I can see where the community aspect of CC would be good at your ages, especially if you're trying to meet homeschoolers in your area to set up play dates and develop buddies for your kids. CCA worked really nicely this was for us. However, you should be aware that most of CC is school time and not a lot of playtime or kid interaction. Lunchtime always seemed rushed in our community and then it was off to Essentials or afternoon activities. Just an FYI.

I guess that's one area where we don't struggle - knowing other homeschoolers in the area.  We attend a large church with many homeschool families, lots, in fact, with kids the same ages as ours.  

My kids are extremely social and while they seem to do really well at home with just us, they would LOVE to 'do school' in a classroom-type setting.  I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost of CC vs just joining a local co-op for a fraction of the price but still get to 'do school' in another setting once a week.