Menu

Designing a 36-week history around CC history sentences? (American/cycle 3)

profmom

My dd enjoys & easily memorizes the CC history sentences, but I want context and go-along reading. We won't be in a CC community, so we can space these 24 cycle 3 history songs across the school year and spend more time on important events. Has anyone created such a plan?

I've seen Half a Hundred Acres' wonderful plan for scheduling go-along reading for the CC 24 weeks, but I want to spend more time on explorers, pilgrims, civil war, etc. I'm also not sure what skipping around so much in SOTW volumes 3 & 4 will do to the story line.

Another thought is to try to combine the Half a Hundred schedule (with CC history sentences) with ideas from Sonlight's core D+E to expand on events & stretch it over the school year. ???

I'd love to hear your thoughts & suggestions!

I'm doing CC (in a community) next year, so I've also been thinking about how to flesh it out. My plan is to listen to SOTW 3 over the summer, mosly because we love it, but also to build some context ahead of time. Then, we will read most of Simply Charlotte Mason's Stories of America each week as we go through the sentences. I won't have the time flexibility you have, but I expect we will linger over the more important (and comprehensible) topics like the ones you mentioned and not stress about expanding the sentences about things like the Monroe doctrine or President Polk.

I really liked the suggestions at Simply Charlotte Mason for related books and historical fiction, so I plan to incorporate some of those along the way. I don't have a comprehensive week-by-week schedule laid out. Have you looked at guest hollow? She has a more structured plan laid out, but it's not aligned with CC.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanonline.html

I'm doing CC (in a community) next year, so I've also been thinking about how to flesh it out. My plan is to listen to SOTW 3 over the summer, mosly because we love it, but also to build some context ahead of time. Then, we will read most of Simply Charlotte Mason's Stories of America each week as we go through the sentences. I won't have the time flexibility you have, but I expect we will linger over the more important (and comprehensible) topics like the ones you mentioned and not stress about expanding the sentences about things like the Monroe doctrine or President Polk.

I really liked the suggestions at Simply Charlotte Mason for related books and historical fiction, so I plan to incorporate some of those along the way. I don't have a comprehensive week-by-week schedule laid out. Have you looked at guest hollow? She has a more structured plan laid out, but it's not aligned with CC.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanonline.html

Interesting. I've not heard of the Simply Charlotte history stories. I'll have to look into that.

We are doing cc this fall and also looking for what books to use. I did find a schedule that lines up kingfisher encyclopedia with the cc history.

Interesting. I've not heard of the Simply Charlotte history stories. I'll have to look into that.

We are doing cc this fall and also looking for what books to use. I did find a schedule that lines up kingfisher encyclopedia with the cc history.

You might also check Half a Hundred Acres' free reading plans!  SOTW is scheduled by CC week.

http://www.halfahundredacrewood.com/2014/04/classical-conversations-cycle-3-reading-plans.html

(I'm also considering starting here and adding in more SOTW along the way to stretch the 24 history sentences into 36 school weeks.)

We use BiblioPlan and I take the CC history sentences and just "plug them in" on my history schedule and learn them as we go...  BP schedules the CC timeline cards too!

:iagree:

I've tried 2 years of working SOTW into CC and just couldn't make it work, it was too disjointed and I like SOTW's  system better. I haven't decided whether I'll be in a CC community or not but I'll do SOTW and use the CC songs where they apply. 

We'll begin our second year in a CC community this fall. We'll also be using SOTW Vol. 4 in a co-op. I make no attempt to synchronize the two. It is wonderful when a CC history sentence or timeline event reviews a topic with which we are already familiar via SOTW (or some other source), but equally exciting when we preview an event first in CC and later get to review it via SOTW. Whether we're reviewing or previewing, the learning is richer and longer-lasting as a result of the combined curriculums. All that to say that I can't help you much in designing a way to align the two; I gave it up as more work than I could handle and it seems to be working just fine this way.

I will admit that I'm glad we did two volumes of SOTW before beginning CC, as I think SOTW is more age-appropriate for 7 & 8 year olds and therefore my daughter had a nice context for much of the history, geography, and timeline memory work when we began CC at almost 9-years of age.