Menu

Adding this article to my "scientific skepticism" file

... and thought I'd pass it on.

"The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease"

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579533760760481486?mod=trending_now_1 

The new study's conclusion shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with modern nutritional science, however. The fact is, there has never been solid evidence for the idea that these fats cause disease. We only believe this to be the case because nutrition policy has been derailed over the past half-century by a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, politics and bias.

I think that one of the things we need to teach our kids is to NOT take an experts opinion on face value, but to check the methodology, look at the data. There is a lot of politics and money that drives science these days, getting the grant, maintaining the grant, making the drug company more money, making the AG company more money, etc. Therefore, they need to understand the scientific method; they need to understand what constitutes a good study. A lot of junk science is validated to the public through politics and profit driving, and Americans need to have their eyes open in this regard.

Incidentally, my brother just had a mild heart attack and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He eats a diet almost exclusively of grains with smatterings of starchy vegetables, and some chicken or fish but not a lot. He juices and drinks both fruit and vegetable cocktails all the time, and I would say his portion sizes are HUGE in order to compensate for the hunger since he keeps his proteins and healthy fats so low. He's been doing this for five years since his doctor heralded the "your cholesterol is starting to rise" warning. The interesting thing is that he hate this diet for five years and despite taking in so very little fat and cholesterol, his numbers kept rising, his good cholesterol plummeted, his triglycerides went up, his blood pressure went up, and his sugar started going up. Yet, his doctor kept telling him to plug away at it. Now he's had his first heart attack - just turned 50 - and is on two blood pressure medications and two diabetes meds. The first thing the nutritionist told him was to keep his fats very low. Sigh...that's going to make it quite hard to keep the sugar numbers down.

Meanwhile, though there is a predisposition to type 2, I eat - due gluten issues and difficulties digesting grains except rice - eat high fiber veggies and especially greens and reds, rarely potatoes, rice only once per week, lots of seafood, organic grass fed beef (recently bought another quarter), chicken, turkey, cheese, and some milk. My numbers are REALLY good.

It's anecdotal, but while he's been feeling worse and worse and worse, his quality of life going down each year, mine's been getting better so I am glad that some of the previous findings are being questioned because it doesn't seem to be born out for a lot of people. I know a lot of people that diet according the AHA plan and started doing it long before they had heart trouble and still ended up with heart disease and diabetes. I think it's safe to say that while the diet may work for some, it's not working across the board and more research needs to be done into the matter.

I think that one of the things we need to teach our kids is to NOT take an experts opinion on face value, but to check the methodology, look at the data. There is a lot of politics and money that drives science these days, getting the grant, maintaining the grant, making the drug company more money, making the AG company more money, etc. Therefore, they need to understand the scientific method; they need to understand what constitutes a good study. A lot of junk science is validated to the public through politics and profit driving, and Americans need to have their eyes open in this regard.

I agree.  But limited time and accessibility are huge barriers, even for those who have the knowledge.  I find it hard to believe there isn't some "watchdog" group responsible for monitoring these things - but perhaps there is and they just aren't getting any press.  I sound like a conspiracy-theorist now, don't I?  We need a Tin Foil Hat smiley.  This will have to do:  :hat:

I think it's safe to say that while the diet may work for some, it's not working across the board and more research needs to be done into the matter.

Agreed here, too.  But when that research is done, will we be able to trust it?  ;)

I'm sorry about your brother, Faith.  It's a scary place to be, doing everything you're told is "right" and still getting walloped.  I hope he's able to find a healthy balance soon.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start dipping my bacon in melted butter.  :drool5:

I think that one of the things we need to teach our kids is to NOT take an expecardiologistn on face value, but to check the methodology, look at the data. There is a lot of politics and money that drives science these days, getting the grant, maintaining the grant, making the drug company more money, making the AG company more money, etc. Therefore, they need to understand the scientific method; they need to understand what constitutes a good study. A lot of junk science is validated to the public through politics and profit driving, and Americans need to have their eyes open in this regard.

Incidentally, my brother just had a mild heart attack and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He eats a diet almost exclusively of grains with smatterings of starchy vegetables, and some chicken or fish but not a lot. He juices and drinks both fruit and vegetable cocktails all the time, and I would say his portion sizes are HUGE in order to compensate for the hunger since he keeps his proteins and healthy fats so low. He's been doing this for five years since his doctor heralded the "your cholesterol is starting to rise" warning. The interesting thing is that he hate this diet for five years and despite taking in so very little fat and cholesterol, his numbers kept rising, his good cholesterol plummeted, his triglycerides went up, his blood pressure went up, and his sugar started going up. Yet, his doctor kept telling him to plug away at it. Now he's had his first heart attack - just turned 50 - and is on two blood pressure medications and two diabetes meds. The first thing the nutritionist told him was to keep his fats very low. Sigh...that's going to make it quite hard to keep the sugar numbers down.

Meanwhile, though there is a predisposition to type 2, I eat - due gluten issues and difficulties digesting grains except rice - eat high fiber veggies and especially greens and reds, rarely potatoes, rice only once per week, lots of seafood, organic grass fed beef (recently bought another quarter), chicken, turkey, cheese, and some milk. My numbers are REALLY good.

It's anecdotal, but while he's been feeling worse and worse and worse, his quality of life going down each year, mine's been getting better so I am glad that some of the previous findings are being questioned because it doesn't seem to be born out for a lot of people. I know a lot of people that diet according the AHA plan and started doing it long before they had heart trouble and still ended up with heart disease and diabetes. I think it's safe to say that while the diet may work for some, it's not working across the board and more research needs to be done into the matter.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can I please recommend a book to your brother? Wheat Belly is written by Dr. William Davis who is a preventative cardiologist and deals with diabetics as well. The book addresses the issues with grains etc that your brother is having and how they relate to heart issues and diabetes. It's quite mind-blowing.