Menu

Galileo (RC friendly)

Is there a biography or recommended living book about Galileo appropriate for a 9 year old?  We are catholic and would prefer something that is unbiased, but not anti-Catholic.

I looked to see if there was one available in the 'Who Is/Was' books, but unfortunately there isn't.

I don't mind if the book is about other scientists too.  Thanks

Starry Messenger is neither pro nor con Catholic. The Church pardoned Galileo in 1993. Why not address it in the context of "Do the best you can, and when you know better, do better." I am sure there are many things you or your children will think they understand and know but as time moves on, we all realize that none of us completely understands the majesty of God's plans or God's work. He works in mysterious ways and we are all constantly learning new things. I would definitely count much of what happened during the Renaissance as people over reaching their usage of free will. There would be no need for forgiveness if we didn't all do that sometimes.

My six-year-old loved listening to "Along Came Galileo." I'm a Protestant, but I felt like it was very respectful of Catholicism. It was a wonderful book, telling a bit about Galileo's life and connecting his work to to that of other astronomers of the time.