Menu

Peri menopause and stress symptoms?

bethben

I'm 44 and my new PMS symptom is this feeling like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I lay down to sleep and all I hear and feel is THUMP THUMP THUMP. During the day, I just walk up the stairs and I'm winded and my heart is racing. My sleep is horrible. I do have quite a bit of stress in my life but during those last two weeks feel unable to handle anything. First two weeks of my cycle, everything is fine and dandy---I don't notice my heartbeat. What is going on with me and how can I stop this madness?!?!

Beth

Have you had your hormones tested?  I'd look at Vitamin B12 and thyroid levels, too.  I'm 43 and your symptoms sounds very familiar.  My b12 deficiency was the majority of my problem, but the hormones cause me some issues, too.  I am on bio-identicals.

I'm really good about testing thyroid levels since I have benign nodules with a personal and family history of being hyper-active. I will have them test b12 and hormone levels. my cycles have been getting shorter also. How do you get bio-identicals?

BTDT and it sucks.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I think there's better (or at least more optimistic) advice further down the thread, so I'm going to edit my original post.

You are about my age and I had similar symptoms.  My old doctor said it was perimenopause.  My current doctor (female) said "Yeah.  Your old doctor is a man right?  That's what all the male doctors say."  She kind of shocked me with that statement.  My symptoms were related to vitamin d and b12 deficiency and thyroid issues.  

Already going tomorrow for my annual checkup. I need to know what to ask. I already went last month about this time thinking my thyroid was going wacky or I was iron deficient. Everything was "normal". I personally think my thyroid is running a bit fast, but it's in normal ranges and I don't have symptoms.

Beth

She tested some of my vitamin levels which were all fine except for vitamin D (which is no big surprise my being a redhead and the winter we've had lately).  She suggested a bunch of vitamins and to make sure I get the sleep I need even if I have to take 1/3 of a benedryl which seems to do the trick for me.  I did talk to my mom who at my age was in a stressful job situation and was going to the hospital for heart attack symptoms which turned out to be anxiety.  She said she had a lot of similar symptoms at my age but chalked it up to her job.  She is thinking otherwise now.

Beth