Menu

11th/12th Plans

I need help filling in some blanks...

DS will be a junior in the fall.  He just enrolled at the CC, and here is what we have in mind for his Junior and Senior years at the CC:

Semester 1 - Intermediate Algebra & Spanish 101

Semester 2 - College Algebra & Spanish 102

Semester 3 - Plane Trig & _________________

Semester 4 - Calculus 1 & ________________

He'd like to eventually get some sort of engineering degree - but has not picked a program and has no idea what school he wants to go to.  The state schools will take the classes as transfer classes, but he may not stay in this state... 

My biggest concern, however, isn't that the classes transfer; far more important are the non-mommy grades and the knowledge/prep for his degree. 

He's taken conceptual physics, biology, and chemistry here at home (mommy grades).  The college does offer a physics class and a chemistry class that are recommended for STEM majors and that he can take after that College Algebra class.  I've read that in some cases, though, science classes taken at a CC don't always look good for STEM majors.  However, he could take them and take the SATII for the subjects after the classes.  I don't feel he is ready for the SATII's at the moment.  Of course, he would get both of those SATII scores after the first semester of his senior year of high school (may not be available when he applies). 

He has dysgraphia and dyslexia, so we're trying to steer clear of classes with a large amount of in-class writing assignments/essay tests.  We're still working on his writing skills intensely at home with the plan that he'll be ready to go his Freshman year of college into those classes.  He'll be doing history here at home as well as English Comp and Literature (due to the writing components of those classes). 

Suggestions????

The college does offer a physics class and a chemistry class that are recommended for STEM majors and that he can take after that College Algebra class.  I've read that in some cases, though, science classes taken at a CC don't always look good for STEM majors.

I do not understand this statement. Almost all STEM majors will be required to take calculus based physics - so a college recommending an algebra based course for STEM majors makes no sense to me since the credit will not count towards their majors (except possibly life science majors at some universities.)

As for looking not good: if you want to use if for high school credit, any college course "looks good". I would decide based on what credits he needs. Why does he not continue foreign language?

I don't think the physics class is an algebra based course - I think they assume that after college algebra, you can hack the calculus in it.  I'm new to all this, though, and just going by what the counselor told us.

I don't think the physics class is an algebra based course - I think they assume that after college algebra, you can hack the calculus in it.  I'm new to all this, though, and just going by what the counselor told us.

I would be very cautions about that. The student would definitely need trigonometry, and the physics class would have to be specifically designed so that it can be taken concurrently with calculus and not need a calculus prerequisite. That is certainly possible, but requires the physics instructor to tailor the course to such students and take enough time to teach the needed calculus - the concepts of integral and derivative are needed in the first week.

Before signing up for such a course, I would inquire about this, want to see the syllabus, and know which text is being used.

ETA: The far bigger problems will arise during the second semester of the physic course where an adequate treatment of electricity and magnetism requires multi variable integration that is often difficult for students who have completed two semesters of calculus.

Good to know, Regentrude :)   If he took physics the last semester at the CC he'd be taking it concurrently with Calculus 1....  I'm thinking he'd do fine in Chem that first semester.... 

As for more Spanish, he hates foreign languages, lol :)  We did Spanish at home this year, and he's done about 2 years of Latin (pre-high school) - and can't stand it.  I'm thinking that 2 semesters of college Spanish, plus the year of HS Spanish will count fine for his foreign language requirements.  However, if he does need 2 years of college Spanish, then we may just decide to get it over with at the CC....

If he took physics the last semester at the CC he'd be taking it concurrently with Calculus 1....  I'm thinking he'd do fine in Chem that first semester.... .

Please be aware that as a STEM major he will need (at least) two semesters of physics and two semesters of chemistry. If you are thinking of having credit transfer, it would make a lot more sense to complete the two semester introductory sequence in one of the subjects instead of taking the first half of the sequence in each field.

ETA: I know that that many people equate "one semester of CC equals 1 year of high school", but in physics and chemistry, one semester at CC will cover only half the material of a high school course - in more depth, to be sure, but physics 1 would only be the mechanics portion and not an equivalent for one high school credit.