Menu

Scholars Online Latin

Has anyone used Scholars Online (not the Veritas one) for Latin?  They seem to have an all text classroom (no audio).  I've looked at the sample transcripts but am still having a hard time wrapping my head around this type of class for a language.  If your dc had experience with this type of class, how did they find the all text classroom, what were the time requirements of the course, and any pros or cons? 

My son is finishing his 2nd year of Latin with SO, my daughter took 5 years of Greek and Literature with them, and I am starting my 3rd dc with their Latin next year. It is all text chat, the student (or you) can go back and read over the class to review.

For Latin I and II, the teacher will usually go around, in a virtual circle I guess :), student 1 puts in exercise 1, student 2, ex 2 and so on. This ensures that my very quiet son actually participates. They recommend that before class starts, the students type their homework into Word, or whatever program you use, and then just cut and paste the answers into the chat box for class. It keeps the class moving along. For Latin they just type capital letters for vowels with macrons.

They do Wheelocks over 2 years in I and II, that is a little under 2 weeks per chapter. It seems like a reasonable amount of work for a Latin class. Wheelocks seems to have a huge amount of vocab compared to other Latin books. They are starting a new Latin class using Latin for the New Millenium, I don't know how that would be, or what the sequence would be after that.

Scholars Online has been great for my kids. My daughter won the National Greek Exam scholarship after her years of Greek and is now a Classics major in college.

The only other online classes we have experience with has been AOPS, which uses the same "just text" format.

hth

Carolyn