Menu

After Grammar?

Killgallon or Noden's Image Grammar? Perfection Learning has a workbook to go along with the latter book: http://www.perfectionlearning.com/image-grammar-program

With Killgallon and an advanced younger kid, I would start with "Sentence Composing for Elmentary School": http://www.heinemann.com/products/E00223.aspx

ETA: For reference books, we use Warriner's and also Writer's Inc. I find it handy to have 2 different guides because that helps me determine whether something is a true grammar rule vs. merely a style convention.

How do you define "finished" grammar?  Is it your 7 yr old you are talking about?  I ask because we did a lot of grammar early on also, but we didn't finish it - it just got *so* repetitive I stopped doing it!  But I expect sometime I might pick it up again, maybe in 6th grade or so, if there is something in it we haven't already covered elsewhere.

I noticed you have started Latin with both your 6 and your 7 yr olds... I think that is the most wonderful thing to do "after" grammar!  With my 7 yr old, I did GSWL after he had gotten through about 2nd or 3rd grade grammar (he was precocious in language arts and loved grammar, so that was about 1.5 yrs ago that we did GSWL).  Now we are in the thick of both Latin Alive and Lingua Latina.  The grammar background he had has been extremely helpful, and our Latin studies have built upon that foundation nicely. 

We are also enjoying going through Rex Barks to strengthen our diagramming skills (and I expect we will learn a few new grammar concepts in it also).  We also frequently diagram Latin sentences along the way. 

I also agree with PP that Killgallon is a good option.  I do that orally with my 7 yr old and he thinks it is great fun.  For the imitations, we often analyze the model sentences first (the MCT way) and then diagram them (the Rex Barks way) and then we love making up silly sentence imitations.  IOW, I try to insert more grammar review into the program than is actually there, just to keep it fresh in our minds.

This child just gets grammar, he diagrams beautifully. I just don't see going over and over grammar. We have already skipped from FLL 3 to Hake Grammar 6, and he is blazing through. This will be done in no time. We already have Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary got it mid last month and it is almost done. He is wearing me out. He is blazing through Lively Latin BB 2 after GSWL, and BB 1. And started GSWS also. He has requested French. 

I can so easily see just having a handbook to go over things as they may crop up, and drop the subject of grammar. Coming back when necessary for review if I see the need. I think he will continue to diagram on his own for fun.  

If only all the other subjects were this easy. Can you all help me translate this ease to math ?!?!?!? 

Will look at Warriner's and Writer's Inc ( I owned Writers Inc years ago. )

I can't tell the age of the child you're asking for, but since you posted on the Logic Stage subforum, Analytical Grammar has a reinforcement package, designed "to keep grammar skills and terminology sharp without “doing†a daily grammar program again."  It is designed for those who completed their formal grammar instruction during middle school (i.e., students of or near high school age).  I haven't used it, but have my eye on it in case the need arises here. 

This child just gets grammar, he diagrams beautifully. I just don't see going over and over grammar. We have already skipped from FLL 3 to Hake Grammar 6, and he is blazing through. This will be done in no time. We already have Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary got it mid last month and it is almost done. He is wearing me out. He is blazing through Lively Latin BB 2 after GSWL, and BB 1. And started GSWS also. He has requested French.

LOL, he sounds a lot like mine.  I can't find a scope & sequence for Lively Latin 2, but the grammar covered in Lively Latin 1 is very simple (simpler than GSWL, but I'm sure you already figured that out!) and it doesn't look like there is much Latin reading in it at all (unless I missed something).

He is really the perfect candidate for Lingua Latina.  It is a challenging program taught completely in Latin, but it starts off easy and is SO rewarding for the student (show your DS the first pages through the Look Inside feature on Amazon and see what he thinks - my DS was so pleasantly surprised that he could read pages of Latin!).  It is a college level Latin reading program and the stories are quite fun.  It's about a family in ancient Rome, 3 kids who sometimes have kerfluffles,some money goes missing, etc....  My 7 yr old LOVES it.  But it is also a great challenge!  The first several chapters are easy, but the vocab and grammar ramp up sharply.  But it remains fun, at least so far in our experience.  The College Companion is invaluable for helping explain grammatical concepts in English, as well as giving a glossary of new vocab.

I combine Lingua Latina with Latin Alive simply because I believe both approaches are beneficial and (for us) necessary, even though the order of grammar taught in Latin Alive is similar to any grammar translation program, but the order of grammar experienced and learned "organically" through Lingua Latina is completely different.

If it were my DS, I'd have him do some Lingua Latina (or something similar) before letting him start French.  He hasn't gone past beginning levels of Latin or Spanish yet, and I think it needs to challenge him more before moving on to something new.  Plus he will learn TONS of vocab from Lingua Latina, even if he just does the first half of Familia Romana, and that vocab knowledge can only help him with French and Spanish anyway!   But that is just how I roll :-D

I wish you were our neighbor and could send him to our house to do Lingua Latina with us, LOL.  My DS would love to have a Latin buddy!!!

To second the idea of Latin, my son does incredibly well in Latin since we started grammar early.  The reinforcement that the Latin has done is incredible.  I now understand why I learned the language in Catholic school.  My goodness, not only is he learning a language, but the connections he is making to English are priceless.

You might give it a try.

We used Visual Latin when he was your son's age.  You can get the worktext/worksheets for free from Compass Classroom (answer keys too).  Now we have transferred to Jenney's Latin which is a drier text, but really good.