Menu

cross post how long for MBtP

I've only used 7-9, but I can say it does take a while. I'd say if you did all the activities, it would be 3 hours per day, depending on how fast your kid works (this would be science or social studies and LA). But you probably won't do everything--there's a lot!  

Love MBTP!

I used MBtP 7-9 and 8-10 for three weeks (I bought one complete unit for each of my school aged children to try it out).

I do and don't like it. It is definitely long. I felt like there was a *ton* of writing for both sections. The reading/literature was really hard for my kids but the science/social studies was pretty simple. 

We could easily have spent 3+ hours on the curriculum per child, and much more if we followed rabbit trails it brought up. I would not recommend trying to combine it with a second curriculum until you've used it for a while and seen areas you need extra work in.

Some of the work seemed like busy work, some added depth that was great. I loved all the comparing/contrasting. That is a learned skill for some kids (like mine)!

I'm hoping to incorporate 3 units per year in the future, during breaks from our normal curriculum.

Emily

Thanks, this is really helpful. I am thinking about a curriculum switch for my eldest and while I definitely need something all inclusive, I want to choose something that will leave enough time for dedicated project work. I am currently considering MBtP and Oak Meadow. Let me know if you have any other thoughts for me.

I think MBtP might be really good spread over a little more time. Take 3 weeks per unit, and use it four days a week, or something like that, to leave project time.

I also think that people who are in a groove might find it faster than I did.

I wouldn't call it an "efficient" curriculum. You're supposed to ponder things, make connections, and dig deep. It isn't a "get-it-done" curriculum, but in a good way!