Menu

Does anyone know anything about digestive enzyme deficiency?

countrygal

I'm going to keep this short. DD6 had a biopsy of her small intestine and has deficient digestive enzymes (all except lactase, which was borderline normal.) She 'apparently' is not celiac, so what else causes this? Google is not helping! (I think it's celiac personally.) Her GI (who I'm not happy with!!) said she doesn't know what causes it and gave me a FODMAP diet for her to follow saying it'll probably help her 'feel better.'  I'm going to call her back Monday with a TON of questions and DD's regular ped. is going to refer her to a bigger facility if this GI doesn't know why her enzymes are this way (she is not growing or eating well at all.)

I'm just too antsy to wait and y'all are so smart I'm sure someone has answers :)  Thanks.

Assuming some other testing (like the CF stuff) isn't in order or comes back okay...

Celiac testing isn't that reliable. Digestive enzyme supplements are inexpensive, and I'm told, effective. I believe certain foods help with enzymes as well (pineapple comes to mind).

If you want to do a gluten free trial and have had the bloodwork for celiac done, I think you've done your due diligence for the experts and are free to try it.

Do you mean exocrine pancreatic insufficiency? Its treated with Creon, which is high dose digestive enzymes. You take one before every meal, not a major thing imo but eating makes you miserable without them. Fwiw I have it, dr believes it was caused by them taking 24yrs to dx my celiac which damaged my pancreas. You start feeling a whole lot better about 2 weeks after starting the creon but I still have to take vitamin supps. It has nothing to do with the fodmap diet.