Menu

verbal planet--is there something else like it?

I started a nice dialog with a Korean teacher on verbal planet, but now that we are ready to set up lessons she is unresponsive.  The other teachers don't seem to fit us as well.

Does anyone else have leads for Korean instruction?

Thanks!

Lee in New England

Does anyone else have leads for Korean instruction?

My daughter took Korean at college. The text her class used first semester was: Integrated Korean: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition. There is also a workbook: Integrated Korean Workbook: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition (Klear Textbooks in Korean Language).

My daughter did dabble with the Korean Pimsleur program before taking a formal Korean class.

My husband is currently teaching himself Korean.  He is using:  Teach Yourself Korean: A Complete Course.  This appears to be a newer edition: Complete Korean: A Teach Yourself Guide

Things to keep in mind for down the road ~

Sejong Korean Scholars Program --  This is a competitive but free program for high schoolers.

also the  National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

"The State Department’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students and recent graduates interested in learning less-commonly studied foreign languages.

Eligibility Requirements

All applicants must be:

* A U.S. citizen who is currently enrolled in or just graduated from high school;

* 15-to-18 years old at the start of the program;

* have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Languages Offered

There are seven languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish."

I've no first hand experience, but this program is well regarded. My daughter has a friend who valued her participation in their similar program for college aged students.

Regards,

Kareni