Menu

What are your thoughts on Abeka or BJU Lit?

Gamom3

I have not used any of these programs, but have looked over the BJU and I've seen sample of the Lightning Lit. Have you looked at the samples for BJU and Lightning Lit that are online? I personally don't care for the A Beka lit program and don't find the teacher's manuals to be as strong as BJU. Having said that, I would say that a pro for BJU is the Teacher's manual. I really liked what I saw when I looked it over at a convention. It will definitely hold your hand and let you know what to teach and how to bring the literary elements out of the selections. The con of BJU is that while some of the author's are well-know, the pieces themselves can sometimes be lesser known pieces by famous authors or by unfamiliar authors. If a Christian perspective is a high priority for you then I would go with BJU. A pro for LL is that the books are all well-known pieces by well-known authors. I have read many posts on the boards that describe in depth what this covers and it sounds like you couldn't go wrong with this choice, either. You may want to google LL on the old boards. I believe it was LoriD that made the really detailed posts about it. My understanding is that it does not bring out a Christian worldview, so that would be up to you to pull out, if that is something you want. But, if you prefer a more secular text, then this would definitely be the way to go. MHO may not be worth much, since I haven't used these programs, but these are just my thoughts, as these are programs that I've considered using over the next year or two. I thought about not posting, since I didn't have user knowledge, but then thought I'd let you know what I saw as the pros and cons as I am looking at them, too. :P

Agree with everything Zee said about BJU Lit, but another plus for me is that it's only one semester (and can really be done in less than that), so it leaves plenty of time for adding in TWTM lists, or anything else you want to cover. I want my dds to read certain books that I love, but I don't want to create a program from scratch. This gives us something to do in-between, and it does a good job of it. Pretty teacher-intensive, though. I found 9th grade a little tough to teach, so I bought some Walch materials to help *me*. As much as I love BJU, I find myself having to buy something else to help me teach it (something that goes s-l-o-w-l-y) around 9th grade. But 7th and 8th grades were doable for me.

I like Lightning Lit, too. It looks less teacher-intensive, definitely. And more reasonably priced. I've got a borrowed copy of LL American, and we're going to do just some of it for the 2nd semester of 8th grade (this spring). I'm definitely going with LL for high school. The only reason I didn't use it for 7th/8th is because I already had the BJU + my lists, and we'd already read several of the books. I will use it for my younger one, though, when she gets to 7th.

Can you tell I've been homeschooling a looonnnnggg time? :)

I think all three are good programs. It just depends on what you want to get out of your literature program, how much time you have, and your child's abilities.

Here is my take on the three:

Abeka 7th grade lit. book: This was the first one I had as it was given to me. (We are missionaries overseas). I do not have the TM that would go with it. All my children have greatly enjoyed the stories in it--Lots of excerpts from great children's writing. The book also includes selections that can be timed and used for calculating reading speed. I have fast readers, but if your child needs to learn to speed up, these types of exercises can help. At then end of the selection, there is a "Know these words" section that is there for you (or your student) to review before beginning the lesson but no definitions. However, on those selections with old-fashioned writing (eg, from "Of Plymouth Plantation" by William Bradford), archaic words *are* defined at the bottom of the page where used. There are decent "comprehension" questions at the end of most selections, including poetry; few "digging deeper" type questions. I personally have no problem with that as I do not think most 7th graders are capable of lots of really deep thinking....

I only used Abeka 7 with my eldest because all the rest read it on their own, long before they hit 7th grade.... (I also have the Abeka 8, 9 and 10 readers and they also are enjoyed as "free reading" when the kids are in the mood to read something short and sweet.)

BJU Lit. 7: This book is slightly shorter than Abeka's book. Each story also has basic comprehension questions at the end (fewer than Abeka's). Both BJU and Abeka texts give brief author biographies. BJU intersperses vocabulary words (with definition) right at the end of each paragraph.

The biggest difference (I think) is that the BJU TMs gives a lot more ideas for expanding the lesson well beyond the reading. There is an emphasis on applying the themes to the student's life. (Eg. in the chapter with a theme of courage, the *teacher* is to challenge the student about being courageous--this in only in the TMs, not in the student text). There are suggestions for discussion (this is where the "digging deeper" questions come up) as well as a few composition assignments. (I do think ABeka's TM also gives ideas for composition assignments...)

I am using BJU's Lit 7 this year with my youngest daughter (age 12) with the HomeSAT DVDs. (Long story of how that came to be). The DVD teacher includes a *lot* of the ideas suggested in the TMs in her lesson presentation. I am very happy with the class as Mrs. Vick's teaches it. I, personally, would not have time to use it that way if I were teaching it myself. If you did, though, it would be a very rich course when used in full with the text and TMs.

If I had to choose between Abeka and Bob Jones Lit (in 7th grade) with only minimal "teaching" from me, I would choose Abeka. (BJU TMs can easily make one feel confused and/or guilty for not doing all the suggested enhancements). I think Abeka's text has excellent selections and introduces a student to a wide variety of genres, all worth reading, in an easy-to-use manner.

3. Lightning Lit 7: I am using this with my son (age 14) this year. This is a year long program (but if your child is a strong reader you can easily speed it up) that includes a heavy composition component. It has more actual "literary analysis" than either BJU or Abeka (but it is at a very beginning level). For example, the student learns about (and writes about) "plot line" in the very first chapter. In the second chapter, the idea of plot line is reinforced in a mini-lesson on outlining as well as in the choice of composition assignments.

With LL7, the child also reads more "whole" novels and stories than in either BJU's or Abeka's texts. There are comprehension questions for each chapter (fewer than Abeka). The TM has a few "digging deeper" discussion questions suggested that are entirely optional.

Because of its focus on developing writing skills, LL7 includes worksheet pages that cover various generic writing topics: outlining, basic grammar review, note-taking, and more. (The TM has the answers to these worksheets). The student covers several genres (autobiography, memoirs, short stories, poetry, and more) and is given the opportunity to write in that genre as well.

This program has the strongest tie of literature reading/writing of all the programs and the least "worldview"/moral teaching of the three.

Choose LL7 if you want to increase the amount of literature-based writing your student is doing. Each chapter gives 3-5 possible assignments and the TM helpfully notes which are easier and which are harder. (There are no answers, though, to these suggested compositions.) This is also a good choice if you want to be involved minimally with your student's lit studies (more than what Abeka would require and less than what BJU expects....)

Hope this helps,

Vicki in MNE

Mom to 5 (2 in college!)

My dd is only 6 so I have only used Abeka kindergarten. However, I graduated from a school that used Abeka exclusively and I think that the literature courses from Abeka are its greatest weakness. If you use Abeka, I would supplement with some really good books in their entirely. I felt like my education in this one area was really lacking. This is just my opinion from having been on the student side.

Good Luck

Paula