Menu

Dr. Hive - Water on the Knee experiences??

Cammie

DD has been complaining of knee pain for a few weeks now.  She had injured that knee about 6 years ago and it was always a little "stiff."  This, however, is much different.  We went for the ortho appointment who said from an external exam "maybe a torn meniscus."  Sent us for an MRI.  I got the MRI report and from what I can tell, everything looks good except "minimal knee joint and suprapatellar effusion" which my googling tells me is "water on the knee."

I have no experience with this particular issue.  Our appointment with the Ortho is Saturday.  Anything you all can tell me would help me go into that appointment much more prepared!

Thanks!

I think torn meniscus is something they just fall back on becasue it is so common.   my sports medicine dr has focused on my meniscus this entire time, I had my mri last week,.  my meniscus is fine.  however -

I have prepatteler bursitis. (the knee has three bursa)  irritating and somewhat inhibiting, but not particularly painful. (though contiributed to some stiffness when I was doing yoga - before I tore the mcl.)

and the 2nd degree tear of the mcl, that is being very slow to heal.  I had the mri 7 weeks post injury.

along with a 'small effusion'.

one thing I've been finding in my reading is they may aspirate it, depending upon size.  as long as it isn't infected, they may just drain it, then possibly do a cortizone shot into the knee.   I had the injection into the joint space on monday.  I was told it can be three to four weeks for full effect.   sometimes anti-inflamitories.  if infected, antibiotics along with drainage.

I think torn meniscus is something they just fall back on becasue it is so common.   my sports medicine dr has focused on my meniscus this entire time, I had my mri last week,.  my meniscus is fine.  however -

I have prepatteler bursitis. (the knee has three bursa)  irritating and somewhat inhibiting, but not particularly painful. (though contiributed to some stiffness when I was doing yoga - before I tore the mcl.)

and the 2nd degree tear of the mcl, that is being very slow to heal.  I had the mri 7 weeks post injury.

along with a 'small effusion'.

one thing I've been finding in my reading is they may aspirate it, depending upon size.  as long as it isn't infected, they may just drain it, then possibly do a cortizone shot into the knee.   I had the injection into the joint space on monday.  I was told it can be three to four weeks for full effect.   sometimes anti-inflamitories.  if infected, antibiotics along with drainage.

I think you are right.  He said the external exam is only about 27% accurate - worse than just guessing!  The whole draining procedure has me a little concerned...not sure how she will take it.  Even though she is 13 she is still pretty bad about injections.  I would guess this is similar to a long blood draw?  Here the doctors really don't like to share info so the more I have ahead of time, the more I can get what I want when I am at the appointment!