Menu

Saxo follow up?

beka87

Hello, everyone!  My daughter is currently using Saxon Phonics 1.  I see no reason to use it through to grade 2, but after that I'm stumped.  Is there anyone out there who has used Saxon from K-2 and then built a successful language arts program after that?  I've got some ideas but would love feedback.  Phonics 2 will finish her out strong...most of what I look at seems below the level she'll be at.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Phonics is only one facet of "language arts." I don't know why the materials you used to teach your dd to read would have any bearing on what you choose for penmanship, reading (which is not the same thing as phonics instruction), grammar, composition, spelling... :confused1:

I guess I did not word that well. :) I realize phonics is only one aspect.  I'm putting together materials for reading comprehension/literature, spelling/vocab, grammar/punctuation, and composition.  However, a lot of language arts courses that are comprehensive seem to be starting her with spelling/vocab that she'll have covered by the end of Phonics 2.  I guess I just felt a little lost in where to go after Phonics.  Our language arts till now has been all about learning to read, with me adding in some capitalization, etc, where needed, correcting usage if it comes up, and LOTS of read aloud.  Just looking for a good language arts program or others' favorite resources from folks who have already done second and third grade.

I guess I did not word that well. :) I realize phonics is only one aspect.  I'm putting together materials for reading comprehension/literature, spelling/vocab, grammar/punctuation, and composition.  However, a lot of language arts courses that are comprehensive seem to be starting her with spelling/vocab that she'll have covered by the end of Phonics 2.  I guess I just felt a little lost in where to go after Phonics.  Our language arts till now has been all about learning to read, with me adding in some capitalization, etc, where needed, correcting usage if it comes up, and LOTS of read aloud.  Just looking for a good language arts program or others' favorite resources from folks who have already done second and third grade.

First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease would be fine.

You shouldn't need anything for comprehension, as your dd is being taught phonics. The emphasis on comprehension came about as a result of the sight-reading debacle of the 50s and 60s, when children were not given the tools to decode words but were encouraged to make their best guess based on context and the beginning or ending letters in words. o_0 If you provide your dd with good children's books, and continue reading aloud to her from good children's books, that would be sufficient for a child her age.

beka87 says:

My daughter is currently using Saxon Phonics 1.  I see no reason to use it through to grade 2, but after that I'm stumped.  Is there anyone out there who has used Saxon from K-2 and then built a successful language arts program after that?  I've got some ideas but would love feedback.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually done this yet.

We're at the same place.  Dd will complete Saxon Phonics 2 next year.

After that, I am considering:

1) For Grammar and stuff:

Logic of English (Essentials)  -- I haven't dropped money on this yet, but I am leaning this way.  I expect it will take us more than a year to explore.  I'm not crazy about the spelling lists in the book, so we may go with All About Spelling or Sequential Spelling to teach this.

2) For Writing:

IEW (Institute of Excellence in Writing) -- We are working on the PAL Writing program, and it is a good fit for us.  Whenever PAL Writing is completed (possibly next autumn), we will move on to the next level of the IEW writing programs.

3) For Reading (and discussion):

Caldecott winners (and other award winning books, such as Zolotow or Iowa's Goldfinch nominees).  We will continue to read, discuss, and dissect the parts of a story according to IEW's PAL curriculum. 

--main characters

--setting

--problem or surprise

--resolution (climax)

--what happened after?

As dd approaches 5th/6th grade, we will transition to Newbery Award books.

I've been where you are, this time last year!  :001_smile:   I was at a loss for where to go with spelling in particular, after the sound basis that Saxon gave my dd.  We have ended up using WWE and CAP's W&R (starting with Fable) for writing.  For spelling, I really wanted a program that would build on all the rules learned in Saxon, so we got AAS.  We flew through the first couple of levels, thanks to Saxon, but started slowing down a bit in level 3.  We've also used R&S Spelling.   And for grammar, after a false start with GWG, we are now using R&S English.  Not everyone likes it, but it works really well for us at the moment, and she is learning and retaining a lot.  

These are all very sound programs to follow Saxon, but honestly, I think a lot of it, as with any curriculum, comes down to what works for your particular kid.  (And I'm not totally confident that everything I've worked out with my dd is going to work out with my ds in a couple of years, though hope springs eternal!!)

HTH!