Menu

Physics for my 12th grader son, yes or no?

My ds and I are trying to decide if he should or even wants to take physics this year. He has taken and loved biology, chemistry, and college biology at the university model school. He could finish up the sequence of the science classes there by taking physics. However, he is not sure if he wants to major in science at college because he wants to go into the ministry. I'm concerned that since he is gifted in science, (he's earned almost a perfect 4.0 in all the science classes), that he might change his mind eventually and decide to get into a science related field instead. He'd rather take college algebra at the school and earn college credit for it and not go through Chalkdust algebra at home. But we can't afford both classes and he is having to accept scholarship funds for one class as is. So, will he miss out on much by not taking physics this year? He could take it at college instead. If any of you have taken physics in high school, are you glad you did or do you think physics could have waited until college? I know very little about physics and frankly, am not very interested in it so it's a hard call for me. My ds is pretty interested but not terribly so. But he responds well to good teaching and I wonder if the teacher would spark a lifelong interest in physics somehow?? The teacher is new this year so I don't know him. Hmmm....if you can offer any feedback on this, I'd appreciate it.

given all the things you've said, especially since the teacher is new and you don't know how he/she would be, it would make sense for him to take the college algebra class instead. Having the strong foundation in math would be more important than exposure to physics now, IMO, for his success in physics later, if he chooses to take it in college.

Technically, I did take physics in high school, but it was with a new teacher who didn't know the subject matter. We barely covered 1/3 of the book. Still, I had an interest, and I was able to take Physics successfully in college and major in engineering. So I don't think you'll be shutting any doors having him not take physics this year.

HTH,

Brenda

I had Physics in high school, then went on to take lots of engineering course in college. They've all come in handy even though I'm not an engineer. He's going to live in a house that will eventually need renovated and drive a car that will eventually need repairs. :001_smile:

I suspect that the school you're talking about will have a much better (more interesting, more fun, etc) physics course than my high school did.

I would do the physics.

Chalkdust's College Algebra lists only 1 chapter (Conics) that isn't in their algebra II set (and it is in both Foerster and LOF). That seems like a waste of time and money if he's already done Algebra II.

Why isn't he looking at pre-calc? (I've never seen anyone one else recommend doing college algebra in high school instead of precalc for humanities majors.)

I realize that Chalkdust College Algebra is pretty much a repeat of Algebra 2 with one new topic added but your comment on a humanities major taking precalculus rather than college algebra in high school struck me. I would have thought that it would be the other way round. Could you elaborate on this? Thanks.

In looking at college requirements, both when I was applying and now for my son, I've never seen College Algebra even mentioned. Most say four years of math. Here's a couple of examples that are more specific (these are for all applicants, regardless of major):

http://www.dartmouth.edu/apply/generalinfo/faq/reqrcourse.html

http://admissions.usma.edu/startyoung.cfm#ACADEMIC (trig = pre-calc)

Of course, if you know where he wants to go, you could call their admissions department and ask what they prefer.