Menu

Music for Little Mozarts

MotherOfBoys

I would like to use Music for Little Mozarts with my two boys next year for a small music appreciation and music skill class once a week. What do I need exactly?

Lesson book 1 obviously and then a workbook for each boy (is this worth it?)? The discovery book 1 rainbow resource says you need to know how to play the piano to make it worth anything. I only know a beginners amount of piano so I'm guessing I need the CDs? Can I just get the CDs and not the discovery book?

Lastly, should I get the recital book so they have some fun stuff to play or is there enough in the lesson book? I'm cheap so I was thinking of spending the money on level 2 extras instead?

Oh, and what about those character solo series books? Could those work for music appreciation and then do the lesson and workbooks (skip discovery altogether)?

Thanks

I just bought the lesson book and CDs. It was fine! The CDs were too fast for my son to play along with, but he enjoyed listening to them, and the little story line makes the lesson books more personable. He did level 1 and 2. I keep meaning to pull them out for my dd.

I can't comment on the other parts of the program, but you can teach straight from the lesson book even without a lot of piano skills, you just might not be able to play the accompaniment. My son didn't like playing along with the accompaniment anyway, and so we skipped that part. Personally, I would only buy the workbooks if they are workbook loving kids.

The discovery book is where a majority of the music appreciation/literature is, and requires the CD. The theory book is pretty much extraneous for book 1, and you can live without it at book 2, but I'd suggest getting it for book 3/4, at minimum, because the pace of music reading and concept introduction picks up.  The magnetic note board is nice, but extra. The stuffed animals are cute if you have a child who likes that sort of thing.

The other stuff is extra. The "pop" book mostly isn't-it's songs that really aren't familiar to kids now. The Church books will be familiar if you're in a denomination that uses an older Protestant hymnal, but not if you're in a church that uses praise band-style worship or if you're in a non-Protestant tradition. The Nutcracker book is great if you have a child who likes the ballet. Once you get to book 3, most "Big note easy piano" books will be accessible.

Thank you! I think I'll skip the workbooks for level 1 and spend the money on Level 1 Lesson, Discovery, recital and CD.

How long does level 1 take to get through? I was thinking one day a week and then whenever they want to besides. Should I buy level 2 at the same time?