Menu

food buget and menu for a large group for a week...thoughts?

Hmmm...I would go for a few "build your own" type meals with potato bar w/pot of chili, burritos, etc. Pasta bar with marinara & Alfredo sauces...add salad and bread.

At least one of the breakfasts could be a big pot of cream of wheat (or oatmeal, blech), with the usual raisins, brown sugar, etc. AND a few selections of cold cereals with milk. A few, like in a healthy-type and a sugary kid-pleasing (if kiddos will be there, although some adults prefer this type). A big bowl of fresh fruits, apples, bananas, etc. Oh, and maybe some bread and a toaster or two.

Borrow several griddles and you could do pancakes or eggs.

I once stayed at a hotel that served cold hardboiled eggs for breakfast. I was thinking at the time that it would have been a real time saver for them. Take one big pot fill with water - boil for however many minutes drain and douse in cold water. Place in fridge and pull out in the morning. Let the people peel them and serve with DIY toast and fried breakfast sausage (Morrel was on for $1 here just last week for a box of 12).

A warning on the noodles. I tried to make noodles on an institutional stove with a stone top. The water took over an hour to heat to boiling on high. I'm not sure if it was the size of the pot and how far it was from the heat or if the stone tops take that long. Next time I was ready and started much earlier.

When I did summer meals for our church, I just cut up fruit and put it in a steel bowl. The grapes went the fastest....in our group we needed three containers from Sam's easily for 60 to 80 people. That is with three of four other fruit options.

One suggestion I would have is to make one meal a cool veggies and pickle meal with a bun (not sandwich). It is easy to make and easy to clean up. Pickles are cheap at Sam's and I bought fancy olives and gerkins to round it out. A slice of cheese to make some protien and voila.

Soup is a winner too but the season might not be in your favor. If you are interested I could give you a good lentil soup recipe that is very ease.

The bags of romaine lettuce at Sam's are also handy. They have six heads and it is probably enough to serve two meals with a group your size. I just wash and cut cross wise and put a good dressing on at the last minute. The lettuce could sit in the fridge several hours before dressing it and serving it.

Oh and the ever favorite in this area is Tacos in a Bag. Fry up some meat with taco seasoning and break open a small bag of Doritos (Sam's again sells a box of 50 individual bagsfor about $11). Add lettuce, sour cream and salsa ect. No dishes if you give them plastic forks. It is a child's favorite.

I really hope this helps! I have a tendency to ramble about food. :tongue_smilie: