Menu

How would you go about asking a place for a homeschool day and a discounted rate?

I am wanting to e-mail a paintball company. My kids are interested in doing this and I know a few others would like to join in. How do you go about asking them for a homeschool day and for a discounted rate(normally places are willing to do this, but this company is new and I am sure this would bring in a lot of business for them.)

Thanks!

When I scheduled homeschool activities I got a tentative commitment from the people who wanted to attend and then went to the company and said that since I was bringing so many people for an event would they be willing to give us a group discount. By attending regularly you might be able to build into working toward a homeschool day.

I would call and initially just ask about rates for a large group. Many such places offer large group discounts for scouts, etc and will give a homeschool group the same. I would suggest starting there then as you build a relationship see if they will do one homeschool day a month or something like that.

Our homeschool group usually has enough people to get the "group rate" when we go places together. Other places offer a "birthday party" option at a lower rate (with minimum numbers), so we've done that too and just not brought a cake. :D If either of those work, you can take a few months to judge the interest/committment, and then go to the company to propose a regular deal. I've been pleasantly surprised how many people are willing to support a homeschool group with things like this.

Just go and ask. I set up a weekly skating activity once. I went in and told the owner I thought I could get a good-sized group together if he would give us a block of time. We discussed time, cost, rules, etc. (For instance, he had a no-outside-food rule, but agreed to rescind it for our 2 hours.) We agreed on a time that the PS kids were in school, so he didn't have much business then anyway. It didn't cost him much to try it.

We ended up enjoying skating there for about 15 months. Unfortunately, after 15 months, he ended the homeschool skate time; but we had 15 good months!

Just go in and ask.