Menu

Teaching Textbooks Question

hsmomma1

If you had your child take the placement test, then you should be fine.  Start them wherever they tested into.  For a more in depth discussion you can do a search on the various boards and see LOTS of different viewpoints regarding this curriculum and whether it is behind.  I guess the question would be behind what?  Different math systems use a different scope and sequence.  TT may introduce some concepts later than some systems but not others.  It will depend on what you are comparing it to.  Which is why some people (me included) think that most math curriculum should probably be labeled as levels not GRADE levels....you test into the appropriate level to make certain you have not missed any concepts.  Does that make sense?  Not sure I helped much.  I am certain others will chime in, though.  This is usually a somewhat hot topic....

Which is why some people (me included) think that most math curriculum should probably be labeled as levels not GRADE levels....you test into the appropriate level to make certain you have not missed any concepts. 

:iagree: This is exactly what I was going to say.  Just take the placement test and place them where they should be.  Think of the numbers on the covers as levels, not grades. 

I want to say that this topic, Teaching Textbooks being a little behind, was a teaching point with me. It helped me to finally grasp the greatness of homeschooling and letting go of life-long ideas of what we do without thinking. Let me explain.

I am 46 years old but I'm sure that moms of all ages have come to this realization too. I had some pre-conceived notions about school when I started. I actually took me about 4 months to figure out that these notions were put there by my previous life (public school) and that I was one that knew nothing about bucking the system. Some of those notions were:

1. School is from August to May

2. Tests are the only way to know what a child knows

3. Textbooks are filled with ALL the information there is on a subject

4. A child progresses from grade to grade over the summer and at no other time

5. A child is in grade 5 (for example) in each subject - Math, English, Science, History

6. Summer school is for the dumb kids

Now, I have totally bucked the system and I don't follow those notions at all because they're all antiquated and false. Thank God for enlightenment and encouragement from others that have been there done that.

I feel so free and love it that I'm a rebel.

I want to say that this topic, Teaching Textbooks being a little behind, was a teaching point with me. It helped me to finally grasp the greatness of homeschooling and letting go of life-long ideas of what we do without thinking. Let me explain.

I am 46 years old but I'm sure that moms of all ages have come to this realization too. I had some pre-conceived notions about school when I started. I actually took me about 4 months to figure out that these notions were put there by my previous life (public school) and that I was one that knew nothing about bucking the system. Some of those notions were:

1. School is from August to May

2. Tests are the only way to know what a child knows

3. Textbooks are filled with ALL the information there is on a subject

4. A child progresses from grade to grade over the summer and at no other time

5. A child is in grade 5 (for example) in each subject - Math, English, Science, History

6. Summer school is for the dumb kids

Now, I have totally bucked the system and I don't follow those notions at all because they're all antiquated and false. Thank God for enlightenment and encouragement from others that have been there done that.

I feel so free and love it that I'm a rebel.

Here's to us rebels!!!  :)   :hurray:  :lol:

Of course there is no "behind" and it's about what level is appropriate. But I think it is something to consider if the program moves too slow or if the placement tests are accurate, if you do have a goal of a certain higher math sequence.

I'm not saying that TT is or is not a good program, but I don't know what being a homeschool rebel has to do with anything. We don't have to follow a public school mindset, but it seems to me that TT is of the same mindset and progression. So if we trust TT, or any other program, we are then just following some other person's idea of what is right to do. It's still on us to see if a curriculum gets us where we want to go.

OP, you've been using it awhile. What do you think? You can find scope and sequence of most programs online and compare them. I don't know about Abeka though.

If a program happens to be "behind" in grade level sequence, that's one aspect to consider, though some programs simply sequence topics a little differently over the course of elementary math.  It would seem that being "behind" in sequence might matter less in elementary though it might be a much more significant issue in secondary math.

I think the more important aspect to consider would be whether the program delivers sufficient depth (concept instruction and challenge level) that fits your student's individual needs.  This is a different question from whether a program is behind grade level in sequence.