Menu

If you use/used Saxon Grammar

Where do you go after 8th?  Has anyone changed to something else from Saxon?

I can't find a scope and sequence of their grammar and I worry that it only goes to 8th grade.  Since dd wants to be a writer, that's not enough.  So either I need to switch or figure out what to do afterwards.  Is it enough for college entry?  I'd use R&S, but dd hates it.

Hake grammar scope & sequence document on the publisher's website:  http://www.hakepublishing.com/support-files/grammar_and_writing_scope_and_sequence.pdf

You can also see the Table of Contents for each level at christianbook.com, and perhaps other sites too.  Here's a link to the TOC for the level 8 student textbook.  http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=998581&actual_sku=998581&slide=1

I haven't BTDT yet, as DS is currently using Hake 7, but I expect to be finished with grammar study by the end of middle school (8th grade). SWB says in TWTM that students should have learned everything they need to know in grammar by the end of logic stage, with review as needed in high school. If DS needs it, we might use something like Analytical Grammar's high school reinforcement materials. 

Okay, so I'm looking at the S&S of Hake and everything (except 4 things) is covered every year from 5-8?  Seems  odd...

Yeah, that might seem odd at first glance, and I haven't studied their S&S in detail, but the longer I homeschool, the more I see that after a certain point most grammar programs do actually just repeat the same things year after year.  The detail and complexity of the exercises increases, but the concepts are the same.

In Hake, levels 5 and 6 have nearly identical TOC, as do levels 7 and 8.  DS will be doing only two of those four levels instead of all four, since there's so much review, and stretching each over more than a year.  Then I expect to be "done" with generalized grammar instruction, with targeted review of specific grammar concepts only as needed (if/when specific problems show up in his writing) in high school. That's my plan anyway. ;)