Menu

Something to do with my 2 two year olds!

Jennifer132

I was so creative with my older two children when they were preschoolers. I scoured the blogs and did every activity under the sun with them. I just don't have the time, nor the motivation to do that with my new little ones. So I was wondering if you all could suggest something that is already put together for me, because I want to work with them and do fun little activities, but I don't want to plan it all from scratch this time. Suggestions?

FYI, my older two yo (they are 7 months apart, the older is adopted) has a major speech delay, but she understands everything and loves to be read to. Her fine motor is fine, gross motor is delayed (we are looking at a cp diagnosis). Both can follow directions, neither is great at pencil control, but they like to color and scribble. They both love music. I haven't really done any crafts with them yet (I know, how sad! ). ;)

I wonder if it would be easiest to choose things that are open-ended. E.g.,

• "Hey, it's March! Spring is coming. New plants will grow soon. Here is some green paint. Work at the easel and make something leafy-looking if you want."
  • Or "Here are pom-poms! So soft! You can play with them. You can group them by color or size, or even glue them to paper if you want."
  • "It's a dump truck. What's inside? Oh, those are dried lentils. You can make a construction site here in the kitchen! You can scoop the lentils up with this old cup to put them back in if you want. I'll be over here loading the dishwasher. When you're all done, we'll sweep."
  • Or turn on some music and show them how to march to it. Some beans or rice in a plastic egg can make a nice little instrument to carry around.

So you would not have to plan and direct them toward some particular final project, but provide something interesting and turn them loose. DS hated things that had to be done a certain way at that age anyway, so I avoided a lot of the crafts.