Menu

Would Mathematical Reasoning (CTC) be enough...

AimeeM

for a child who does NOT need much review? I plan to buy A and B (I only need a bit from A; he's covered much of what is in there). I had planned to pair it with CLE 1, but I'm afraid that would be overkill (to do at the same time).

So, would Mathematical Reasoning be enough, on its own, for a child who doesn't need much review, or is it purely supplemental (despite being marketed as a full curriculum)?

• 1 month later...

I use it as a spine, but I do a lot of supplementing (and would do so with any curriculum as we are a very mathy family here!)

I believe it is enough, as long as you/the student can cope with the very spiral sequencing and don't find that to be a hindrance to learning the concepts. I have found the way they present concepts is really good for getting them stuck in a child's mind, incrementally, often incorporating an easy/familiar concept and then expanding it into something new. Do keep in mind that it is a curriculum written for schools to use, and is not specifically a 'homeschool' curriculum, though their materials are very homeschool friendly, so it's scope and sequence, coverage and review, and layout, do reflect that to a point. I think it assumes a teacher elaborating and introducing some concepts with manipulatives etc. It doesn't often directly teach and doesn't offer much guidance, it's more a very coherent, well thought out series of worksheets with logical enough progression that a bright child wouldn't need a lot of direct instruction as it constantly builds on itself in little steps. Or at least, that's my experience with the lower levels, the higher levels might change as students become more independent and concepts become more challenging though.

Having said that, I LOVE MR so far, I have  Beginning 1 and 2 and Book A and will be buying B in a few months, and we intend to use it all the way through as our spine. A lot of the CTC 'full curriculums' are far from being full, but I do believe MR to be complete so long as it is being used with a teacher who can explain/display concepts if the student doesn't 'get' them, or can add in some hands-on work for a learner who needs it, etc.