Menu

Math minder ker struggling with phonics

eeekaao

I started k with my newly 5 yr old in January. She loves loves loves math, and excels with all things math related. When we do reading she struggles, it's like pulling teeth sometimes. We are using OPGTR and MCP, which is working and I think it's a good combination, but I feel like she needs to be engaged more. We read books all the time, and she is always looking at her books and reading them to her dolls. We do have many engineer math minded family members. Do any of you have any suggestions? Should I switch phonics programs? I've tried supplementing with leapfrog and other such things, but she watches it as a movie, and doesn't really interact with it.

I recommend supplementing with more physical activity (like using sidewalk chalk to write outside and have her hop from one sound/word to another and say them) and other games, and if she's still not keen, come back to it in six months. Sometimes 5.5 or 6 is really different from newly 5. DS would barely tolerate a 5-minute lesson at that age (i.e., a year ago, as he's also a January baby). Now he can read little books.

Keep reading to her, of course. And if she shows any interest in writing notes, that is a good way to slip some phonics in.

Thanks for the feedback. We do use star fall, and I was thinking maybe could do reading eggs too. I think I just need to take a break from OPGTR for her, we did that this am and did a few pages from ETC and some star fall, and it went really well. We do use MCP and explode the code. I try to alternate them because I can tell when she's getting bored. I also have made up some games,nothing fancy,just using the flash cards. I'll have to look into the other websites, thanks.