Menu

What should I be when I grow up?

Plateau Mama

I'm contemplating going back to work. Problem is I have no idea what I'm qualified for anymore.

Background info:

I have a degree in Accounting & Computer Science (Combined major, not two degrees).

I interned for 13 months Technical support in College for a major software company.

Did Software testing for almost 4 years for same company after graduation.

Before that I worked office jobs.

Haven't worked since having my daughter 13 years ago.

Tutored for Classical Conversations the last two years.

My 5th year homeschooling.

I'd love to work in a bakery or for a cake decorator, but not enough $$ (and can't do weekends).

Prefer part time (school hours). Can't work weekends due to daughters softball schedule.

My husband wants me to teach. I have no desire to do that.

So, what should I be when I grow up?

Can you afford to volunteer a bit while your figure it out. If you wanted to test getting back into the computer field you could volunteer in that capacity for a nonprofit. That way you get relevant experience to put on your resume and you can decide if it's something you want to do. You may even be able to negotiate your volunteer work into a part time paid position that would be flexible for you. 

Do the cakes. It's different enough from what you did to be a creative change. It'll be a slow start, natch, but what isn't? The cupcake craze seems to have waned, but I bet there's a funky niche out there somewhere. IDK...Haloween cheesecakes or something. All it takes is a couple satified customers to start chatting about your product and service.

Can you afford to volunteer a bit while your figure it out. If you wanted to test getting back into the computer field you could volunteer in that capacity for a nonprofit. That way you get relevant experience to put on your resume and you can decide if it's something you want to do. You may even be able to negotiate your volunteer work into a part time paid position that would be flexible for you.

I can afford to do whatever. We aren't in need of money, but if I go back to work it would be to pay for private school. I have one at private school now and my older wants to go and well, if I have two going May as well send all three, right?

I don't think I really want to go back into the tech field. I would only do it if I decided I want a high paying job for a few years to sock away money for school. I'm good at it, but I don't really want to be in that environment long term. 

Do you have skills in cake decorating?  You could teach classes to kids or adults. 

Could you make your own home baking business?  Set up standing orders for buns or bread or something specialty that would sell well locally?

I do have cake decorating skills. I do lots of cakes for friends family. It isn't legal to bake from home here, but we have talked about doing it under the table. The big problem is I'm not available most weekends from April-July, which is a must for cake decorating. I've thought about just working at the grocery store or Costco bakery.