Menu

Out of the box art history

My oldest dd has been doing the art history readings suggested in TOG yr 1 and yr 2 in context with her history studies. I've kept track of the minimal time spent to accumulate toward one art history credit. We tentatively plan on doing the same thing for yr 4 during her senior year but she really adores the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works and wants to do something a little more exciting for yr 3 next year (her junior year). BtW, her readings have come from:

Art: A World History, http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Elke-Linda-Buchholz/dp/0810994429/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392502681&sr=1-1&keywords=art+a+world+history

The Story of Architecture, http://www.amazon.com/Story-Architecture-Jonathan-Glancey/dp/0789493349/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392502766&sr=1-1&keywords=story+of+architecture

Do you think that if we added in multiple trips to a major art museum that we can legitimately call this a full credit of art history? In terms of scope/time periods covered as well as time spent on task reading and enjoying museum visits, there will be no problem meeting the requirements in PA for a high school credit. But we don't want to mislead anyone who will see it on her transcript -- so far, there have been no quizzes, tests, flash cards, memory lists, notebook pages, or papers. She will have another rigorous course load next year. Therefore, we want to keep this elective light, but still creditworthy.

Many thanks,

I do not think the value of a course is in quizzes and tests. I found that my kids learn a lot more about art history by visiting the great museums than by reading a text and writing flash cards. Go for it.

This is exactly how we cover art history: a textbook as a spine in the background, and dozens of visits to museums and historic architectural landmarks.

Because we do not do quizzes and tests, I am giving no letter grade, but a grade of P for participation in a course for which I have established no objective grading criteria. I do this with all electives.

I hadn't thought about assigning a P grade. That makes perfect sense for a subject we want to cover out of both appreciation for the subject matter and a desire to have as broad exposure as is reasonable during high school, but don't want to turn it into an intense, scholarly course.

What spine text do you use, Regentrude, out of curiosity?

Thanks.

Thanks. We have both of them, too. (I never had art history in high school or college and have discovered that I truly enjoy it -- so I have a smattering of resources I use.)

We visit the Baltimore Art Museum a couple of time a year anyhow. I'm thinking about a family membership to the Philadelphia Art Museum for the year. That way my son can drool over the medieval armory and weaponry while the girls admire everything else. That museum is so large with beautiful, exhaustive collections that it will take us all year to do it justice anyhow.

If you can find it used, Gardner's Art Through the Ages was what my college art history used. It is a hefty book that cost a ton at the time. They wouldn't give me even half my money back at the textbook buy back so I kept it. Homeschooling has been fantastic with it and I'm so glad I kept it.

The edition doesn't matter much, as long as you don't purchase one of the "perspective" versions like the Western Perspective or World history perspective. I am sure they have gotten more politically correct here and there, included more women, or more non western art, but in general I still find the older version fantastic.

Here is our copy for less than 10 dollars. It has over 900 pages, most all color photographs, and timelines throughout. http://www.amazon.com/Gardners-Through-Ages-Richard-Tansev/dp/0155011413/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1392705013&sr=8-9&keywords=gardner%27s+art+through+the+ages