Menu

Outsourcing Science

Hello everyone,

My sis-in-law was approached by a few hsing families about teaching a high school physics class for their kids. She was previously a high school science teacher, is amazingly smart and really fun, and currently a SAHM to 3 littles. BUT she has no idea what to charge. The mother said they would pay $40 per student per month with another teacher who lives 45 minutes away. Class would be once a week for 2 hours, and she'd have around 8 students.
What do you think a reasonable cost would be? Or what have you paid if you have done anything like this? They live in TX, if that matters.
Also, if you have taught a class like this, how much preparation time was involved?
TIA!!

Yes, the numbers given sound right.  In my area, classes run anywhere from $30-$75/month.  The higher figure is the norm for a 2-hour science class with lab.

Encourage to be very thoughtful about how she gets people to commit and pay. I found that requiring a non-refundable deposit up front was necessary to get people to truly commit.  And say from the beginning that if you don't get enough deposits by a certain date, you won't offer the class.  Locally I've seen deposits of $50-100, which may or may not apply to the tuition. Some call that the supply fee and then tuition is more.  Some require payment of the first month as a deposit with no refunds if they cancel.  I also found that setting up firm "pay by" dates is essential.  If she has a handout up front with this information, it will save a lot of headaches later. It's sad that you have to do this, but teaching is a commitment, and I've found that if you aren't formal about it, the headaches will escalate.

When I offered to teach a local physics class ages ago, I spent the summer working out my plans and buying equipment.  I planned to have the parents grade homework, and I was going to grade tests and labs.  With the basic prep done, I figured I'd spend 3-4 hours a week outside of class grading, planning, and getting my equipment together and packed.  Unfortunately all but two of my students decided to do dual enrollment a few weeks before class started.  I cancelled.  I refunded the deposits of those who were still going to do it, and kept the deposits of those who cancelled out.  And ultimately I broke even on my equipment, but lost on the time I spent.  So lessons learned.  The demand just isn't there in my immediate area with the community colleges offering both general physics for non-STEM majors and university physics. There are 5 local groups that offer paid classes, but only one with physics.

I had much better luck teaching month-long science workshops for grade school kids, but I did it partially for my own.  When they got older, I felt like it wasn't worth it any longer.