Menu

Foreign Language Plan: Is this logical?

Is this OK or am I missing something?

8th Grade: 

Potter's School Latin 1A (0.5 high school credit)

Danish 1 (1.0 credit)

9th Grade: 

Potter's School Latin 1B (0.5 high school credit)

Danish 2 (1.0 credit)

10th Grade:

Latin 2

TBD - depends if we are still in Denmark

11th Grade:

TBD

12th Grade:

TBD

Would it look strange to have Latin 1 spread over two years?  I can't see DS doing more than 1.5 credits of foreign language in 8th. That will be plenty for him.  If I sign him up for a full credit of Latin in 8th, then I will have to cut the Danish down to 0.5 credit.  But he could split the Latin and still make it through AP Latin if we do it this way.

I am learning French, as are my kids. Considering we live in Canada it is what makes sense. 

I suppose I just have a casual interest in what is available in Danish instruction. But I even admit right now it is not even on the list of things I want to start. 

Once or twice a year I do give my Mom a Danish gift. She left Denmark at age 9 so her Danish skills for reading are now almost zero. She might be interested in some instruction in that regard. 

We are doing something similar. My ds is studying both Latin and French, but at a slower pace than one full credit per year (about 2/3 in each). I think he will finish the equivalent of Latin 2 and French 2 by the end of ninth grade. After that point, I would like to outsource, but of course that means going at full speed. I wish someone would offer language courses at slower pace for students who want to study multiple languages. But there's always a private tutor option, I guess.