Menu

where babies come from?

jillian

so dd (6) knows the basics...sperm and egg and in the uterus and the basics. lately she has been wanting more information. i know there are lots of good documentaries that are science based and not p*rnographic. which would you recommend? we have netflix (instant only) and internet access so youtube is an option.

NOVA has an oldie but goodie called "The Miracle of Life". You may have watched it in health class if you went to PS growing up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wou1Udu_vr8&noredirect=1

There is a newer NOVA program called "Life's Greatest Miracle" but I haven't actually seen it. http://video.pbs.org/video/1841157252/

Guest BucktownMom

I personally think that 6 years old is too young to start explaining the penis-in-vagina aspects of conception. I like to couch things in the context of the family.  A mom and a dad (wife and husband if you will) share a bed and together they make a new life inside the mommy's tummy.  I decline to elaborate on how the sperm exactly got into the uterus.  

I personally think that 6 years old is too young to start explaining the penis-in-vagina aspects of conception. I like to couch things in the context of the family. A mom and a dad (wife and husband if you will) share a bed and together they make a new life inside the mommy's tummy. I decline to elaborate on how the sperm exactly got into the uterus.

Why is it too young to explain how life is made? My son would not have accepted a 'mommy and daddy share a bed and baby magically appears in mommy's tummy' answer. He wanted to know how that happened and I explained it to him in a factual and accessible way. If a child is asking for an explanation, I don't see the point in brushing him off. JMHO.

She knows a lot. Egg and sperm (from biology and our infertility struggles) she's aware of. Knows that it's an act called sex but we also discuss that this is her knowledge and not for sharing. She knows what a uterus is as well. Knows that the baby grows inside. I really wanted that visual representation and there have been awesome recommendations here. Thank you