Menu

Ugh...I feel so foolish right now

freeindeed

Apparently, in all my eight years of homeschooling, I have been scammed for the first time. I don't have Paypal (as of now, but I will have one before this week is over.) I have always sent money orders to purchase used curriculum-didn't want to send checks b/c I didn't want a stranger to have my bank account info-and never had a problem....until now. I sent a money order 6 weeks ago and have not received my items yet. The "seller" e-mailed me on three different occasions that she was headed to the post office to mail the books. Now she has not returned my last three e-mails. And, no, she's not here on WTM. It was on a curriculum specific Yahoo group. I contacted the moderator of the group, but now neither she nor I can find this "seller's" name or information anymore. The original post she made about the items for sale has disappeared as well. :( I feel like such an idiot. I don't suppose there's anything I can do since I sent a money order?

Do you have the info still? Name/address/emails about the purchase?

Was it a postal MO? If so can you check to see if it was cashed?

I think this would fall under mail fraud. Not sure the amount involved, but if it is over a certain $ amt (depends on area), you could contact HER city's police or sheriff and file a complaint. A knock on her door from the sheriff might scare her enough.

Also you might ask at the Post office. They may investigate it (again if over a certain $ amount I think).

Do you have the info still? Name/address/emails about the purchase?

Was it a postal MO? If so can you check to see if it was cashed?

I think this would fall under mail fraud. Not sure the amount involved, but if it is over a certain $ amt (depends on area), you could contact HER city's police or sheriff and file a complaint. A knock on her door from the sheriff might scare her enough.

Also you might ask at the Post office. They may investigate it (again if over a certain $ amount I think).

I do have the info. as well as my portion of the MO, which I did get at the post office. I will check with them tomorrow to see if this constitutes fraud of any type. Thanks!

I had an experience a few year ago (like maybe 8, back when you could pay with MO on ebay :laugh: ) and it was mail fraud (it was less than $50) and the PO investigated it. I did end up getting my $, but I don't recall what came of it for her (apparently she had had multiple complaints)