Menu

vegetarian recipes for the opening ceremony?

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

Illness cancelled our superbowl get-together and b/c I couldn't get myself together to do anything else, all that food b/c suppers over the next few days.

Everyone will be coming over for the opening ceremony instead!

I'm **thinking** of having a blini bar with lots of blini and a variety of savoury AND sweet toppings. I need topping ideas, though.

I'd also like to offer a traditional soup and bread. I had borscht in mind but beets are so love-them-or-hate-them that I'm afraid some guests may not like it. What's a traditional soup/bread combo that's likely to appeal to a variety of guests?

I'll be very busy most of Friday but will have all day tomorrow to prepare as much in advance as possible.

So, pretty please with sugar on top, let me have all your wonderful ideas!

I think blini is a fun idea. You should try a sweet cheese filling- you could use cottage cheese in place of the cheese that would be used in Russia.  You definitely want sour cream and jam too.  The sour cream you buy in the US won't be quite right, but close enough.

Shchi is a pretty easy vegetarian soup that could be served with a Russian black bread that you made the day before. Or try a sorrel soup- it's surprisingly delicious.

You could try some Adyghe/Circassian recipes since they lived there historically. And you'd get more variety than you would with just Russian food.

Whatever you do, serve something pickled, especially since it's winter. And pickled stuff is easy.

I think blini is a fun idea. You should try a sweet cheese filling- you could use cottage cheese in place of the cheese that would be used in Russia. You definitely want sour cream and jam too. The sour cream you buy in the US won't be quite right, but close enough.

Shchi is a pretty easy vegetarian soup that could be served with a Russian black bread that you made the day before. Or try a sorrel soup- it's surprisingly delicious.

You could try some Adyghe/Circassian recipes since they lived there historically. And you'd get more variety than you would with just Russian food.

Whatever you do, serve something pickled, especially since it's winter. And pickled stuff is easy.

AMDG

Thank you, Amira!

I've rearranged my thoughts, now. I looked up Shchi and found a recipe that looks quite delicious and the borscht looks delicious to me so I'm going to make both. I'm going to make the black bread and serve it in the middle with a butter for sure and whatever pickled veg I can get from the russian mkt if it's still open.

I'm still going to do the blini idea but later in the evening and with all sweet toppings.

Thanks, again! You are a great help!