Menu

Teachers/ Experienced Moms

So a little of a back story (some of you may already remember):

For preK -1st my daughter was in a private Montessori school. She excelled in Language Arts but unforntunately only mastered K level mathematics.  She then moved to a public school for 2 weeks.  

During the parents day I tried to express my concerns about her switching from a very mobile environment to a more rigid classroom setting.  The teacher said, "she will be fine" and walked away.  So this didn't sit well to start with me.  Then for the first two weeks my daughter was coming home with all of her "guided practice" wrong and was completely lost as to what to do for her homework.  After a week of reteaching her I had her tested (out of pocket).  This is when I found out where she was in the afore mentioned subjects.  So I pulled her from school and got started towards ensuring that she progressed at a reasonable rate.  I was in school to be a teacher at the time so I was confident I could.  Since then I have had to switch school and I am getting a degree in Child Development and then doing my MAT thanks to the lack of Elementary Education being offered at my current college.  

Which  brings me to:  She is doing great she is a 4th grader by age but she is in book 3b of Math in Focus and yesterday we tried MEP for the first time to see how she took the challenge.  While my original plan was to just school through summers until she was caught up she is starting to come to that age where the number on the book really bothers her.  Is there a math program that I can buy that is designed to bring kids up 2 grade levels in one year?  

She is doing great she is a 4th grader by age but she is in book 3b of Math in Focus and yesterday we tried MEP for the first time to see how she took the challenge.  While my original plan was to just school through summers until she was caught up she is starting to come to that age where the number on the book really bothers her.  Is there a math program that I can buy that is designed to bring kids up 2 grade levels in one year?  

My back story so you'll understand where I'm coming from for my answer: our DS#2 has mild LDs and up through 5th grade was working 2 grades behind in math. Along about age 10, math finally started clicking and he slowly, naturally, caught up. By 7th grade he was completely at grade level, and so he was ready for Algebra 1 in 9th grade -- at the same place where the average student is. Pushing would have just caused melt downs and hatred for math, we would have likely been trying to build the pre-algebra and algebra skills on a weak foundation of understanding, and really would have had problems throughout high school.

In short, JMO, but you do your child NO favors trying to push them to catch up if the brain is not ready for it. And esp. just to feel better about a number on the workbook cover.

Pushing a student now to "catch up", esp. before the brain is really ready for the next level of math, is likely to push a student into hating math and shutting down -- whereas before the student may have just felt a little unsure about math, or felt that math was "hard". Worse, pushing is likely to leave gaps through "rushing", and only allow for a weak understanding of the math fundamentals and groundwork laid in elementary/middle school math, making it very difficult to later on build on that shaky foundation with the higher maths of high school. Many people on these boards have had students hit the wall HARD with Algebra 1 because the student had a shaky understanding of pre-algebra, and even the more basic math principles and operations. Inevitably, they end up going back to an earlier math to get solid, and then re-start the higher math.

And yes, our DS was sensitive about "being behind"; so we had some conversations about people developing different parts of the brain at different speeds and times -- some areas are like racecars racing ahead, and then resting for awhile, while other areas are like slow, steady tractors (feel free to use a more girl-friendly image with your DD! ;) ). We also discussed how we are NOT all the same and have very different strengths/interests and weaknesses/dislikes, and how that's a GOOD thing. We also were realistic and honest: yes, son, math IS harder for you; it is likely going to take more work for you; but we know you can do it, we'll be working alongside you, and there really is a sense of pride and accomplishment you get when you do something really HARD for you and succeed, that others don't get to enjoy when it's easier for them...

My honest opinion: if you are using a program that DD clicks with and she is progressing -- celebrate! :) And if the number on the book cover bugs DD, show her how to transform it -- have her design and color a really cool flower or other image stick it over the number on the cover of the math and protect with a big piece of clear packing tape. Now the math is her special math, not somebody's number. And now the 2 of you can move on to focusing on the math, and continue learning at her pace.

And, better than pushing to get through 2 years of math in 1 year, I recommend using some supplements to see the math concepts from more than one explanation or point of view. Using manipulatives and a booklet (like Cuisenaire rods and a hands-on book, or pattern blocks and a Discovering Math booklet...), or trying some pages of Miquon or Math Mammoth will help DD make more math connections and make it easier in the end for her to "click" with math, and catch up in her own time.

BEST of luck in your math journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Is there a math program that I can buy that is designed to bring kids up 2 grade levels in one year?  

Not that I know of. Every time I tried to rush things to catch up, we fell farther behind. My 2 cents, stick with your original plan and work summers. Also, I agree with Lori D., let your dd decorate the cover of the book so the number doesn't show. Another thought, you can cover the number before you even give her the book. :001_smile:

Just remember: slow and steady wins the race, and homeschooling is a marathon not a sprint. ;)

I know it's tempting to assume that the educators who create state standards and the textbook authors and the standardized test item writers have some greater knowledge about what age different topics should be taught. As parents and teachers we then end up classifying our children as advanced or remedial in relation to that grade level assigned to those topics... but the truth is that grade levels are somewhat arbitrary and as homeschoolers we don't have to follow any of that. The number on your daughter's book isn't any more important than the size of her jeans. She might be 10 years old and wear a size 10, or a size 7 or a size 16, but it doesn't really mean much since what really matters is that the jeans fit. You could sew a different tag on her jeans... And you could stick a piece of tape over the 3B math book because ultimately it only matters whether the program fits or not.

So my advice is to use your daughter as your standard, not the common core or the sequence in a certain textbook. If she's thriving in MIF 3b, stick with it! If she's motivated to move into 4a, encourage her to do two lessons a day. If she clearly knows how to do a topic, skip it. If she needs to go back, then do it and spend extra time and focus on those topics without worrying about her being "behind"... Because she is the standard for her fourth grade, she can never be behind or ahead. She learns where she's at.

And... If at the end of the day, she really just can't handle the number on the front of the book, I'd turn to Math Mammoth. It's solid and if you use the topic books rather than the books by grade level, she'll never need to worry about what "grade" the book is.

Love the way Coffee Gal and Momling phrased it!

Their comments (esp. that great jeans size image!) also helped me clarify one thing was rolling around in the back of my mind -- this might be a good learning opportunity for DD that it's far healthier to get self-worth from inside ourselves -- our character, our willingness to try and persevere even when it's hard or doesn't come to us naturally, to take a moment to celebrate how far we've come, etc. And it is NOT so healthy to get our self worth from outside ourselves from things like what number is on the cover of the math book...

Just a thought! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

show her how to transform it -- have her design and color a really cool flower or other image stick it over the number on the cover of the math and protect with a big piece of clear packing tape. Now the math is her special math, not somebody's number. And now the 2 of you can move on to focusing on the math, and continue learning at her pace.

I am not a fan of pushing her through.  She LOVES math. Its just that she is behind as far as the book is concerned.  She just doesn't like the label.. Maybe I will have her do this on her workbook :) 

She LOVES math...

Oh, that is awesome! *Definitely* consider using some supplements with DD -- perhaps a short (15 minutes) second session of math later in the day. A supplement such as Miquon, Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, or Beast Academy will help her with math discoveries, making math connections, and problem-solving in different ways, all of which will likely help her more naturally move more quickly through the math levels ...  Games are fun and help reinforce basic functions, money concepts, etc. ... Math manipulatives (pattern blocks, geoboards, cusienaire rods, etc.) are super for self-discovery of math concepts and making connections...

Have fun expanding your math horizons! Warmest regards, Lori D.