Menu

Living Math

As I re-read TWTM before planning my DS's 5th grade year, she mentions doing living math once a week. Any ideas on how to actually implement this? Or, do you just have your kids make dinner once a week and give them any measuring tasks in the projects you do? Since I'm type A, I'd sure love a resource that tells me what to do when if anyone has a good one!

Living math for us was usually reading math literature on biographies or books with interesting number pattern concepts written in story form.

DS also read many books listed on Julie Brennan's livingmath.net site for pleasure.

Have you seen the Family Math books? They lend themselves very well to living math style explorations. Just read an activity and play!

There is a sample here from the first book: http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/equals/browse/EQbkfm.html

There is a book in the series meant for middle school too.

I would also like to suggest the book The Man Who Counted by Malba Tahan. We used parts of it to explore very fun number relationships. I wrote this in my journal several years ago:

On our second day of reading, DS came across a mention of quadratic friendship between the square of 13 and the square of 16.

Taking note that the square of 16 is 256, here's the part of the story that really appealed to DS:

"The digits of the number 256 add up to 13. The square of 13 is 169. The digits of 169 add up to 16. As a result, the numbers 13 and 16 have a curious relation, which we could call a quadratic friendship. If numbers could speak, we might overhear the following dialogue: Sixteen says to Thirteen (DS loves the use of personification in stories, by the way), 'I wish to offer you an homage to our friendship. My square is 256, and the sum of its digits is 13.' And Thirteen would reply, 'Thank you for your kindness, dear friend. I wish to answer in the same coin. My square is 169, and the sum of its digits is 16.'" (Chapter 6, page 33)

And so began our quest to find out what would happen if we squared numbers 1 to 20, added their digits, squared those, added digits again and so on.

DS was 7 when we did that. He faithfully figured out relationships (if any) in a chart. I still have his chart somewhere.

Another activity we did was to toss coins (for about one and a half hours!) to figure out the probability statistics of heads vs tails. We were inspired by Numberphile (can't find the exact video atm, ours was from the time James Grimes was making videos under the name Singing Banana).