Menu

Update on my melancholy football camp boy...

Some of you may recall the post (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=404828#poststop) about my boy who has challenges in certain areas out of his comfort zone. He had a difficult time participating in football camp due his rather unique personality and physical coordination.

Well, dh is coaching his and my 11 yob's Pop Warner team again this year.

As dh prepared to go to equipment handout on a Saturday (a full Saturday w/ over 200 kids being weighed and fitted for equipment), I thought that 9 yob wouldn't want any part of being there (due to his past experience w/ football camp).

Dh asks him if he wants to go...he replies with an enthusiastic "YES!" He then says how anxious and thrilled he is that football will start soon. Go figure!

This blessed me and reminded me not to baby my little boy when he is uncomfortable in certain situations. He was hesitant and reluctant during football camp, and we just encouraged him to persevere through what was a difficult time for him. I think it really built him up!

Just had to let you know.

Blessings,

Camy

Some of you may recall the post (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=404828#poststop) about my boy who has challenges in certain areas out of his comfort zone. He had a difficult time participating in football camp due his rather unique personality and physical coordination.

Well, dh is coaching his and my 11 yob's Pop Warner team again this year.

As dh prepared to go to equipment handout on a Saturday (a full Saturday w/ over 200 kids being weighed and fitted for equipment), I thought that 9 yob wouldn't want any part of being there (due to his past experience w/ football camp).

Dh asks him if he wants to go...he replies with an enthusiastic "YES!" He then says how anxious and thrilled he is that football will start soon. Go figure!

This blessed me and reminded me not to baby my little boy when he is uncomfortable in certain situations. He was hesitant and reluctant during football camp, and we just encouraged him to persevere through what was a difficult time for him. I think it really built him up!

Just had to let you know.

Blessings,

Camy

Yay! How wonderful!

And--thanks to you and a recent post you made, I have a date to play Lego Star Wars on the Wii with my ds7 next weekend. He's been asking me off and on for the past month when I would play, because "you said you might play it if you could control the lightsaber with the Wii remote". Then you posted this week about playing xbox with your boys and pretending to enjoy it, and I decided that next time he asked I would set a date.

His face lit up like a Christmas tree when I told him I would do it next weekend (I even told him I would look forward to it). I have a week to psych myself up for this :001_huh:, but knowing how much it means to him will make it worth it :001_smile:.

Thanks for the kick in the pants.

I have a dd (she's 8) like that! Challenges with directions in a big group, just plain being in large crowds, physical coordination--yup.

Don't you just love it when they surprise us like this?

I remember your post because we've had so many similar experiences with my dd.

I recently came to the (partial) conclusion that the whole time she's complaining and fussing (and sometimes literally crying) over social situations in which she struggles, it's all part of how she uniquely "processes" her experiences. Often, just when I think she is hating something, she announces she loves it.

It happened this summer. I put her in beginning pony camp. I did forewarn the instructors that she needs a little extra keeping-an-eye-on (she can get distracted and wander off) and that she has trouble processing instructions. Every day that I picked her up from camp she was either enthusiastic about the snack (yes, I paid for pony camp so she could have goldfish crackers!) or else she was troubled about something--or both. By the last week of the four-half-days camp, when the kids go on the trail ride (a "big deal" about which typical kids are very excited and proud), my dd seemed to not care one way or the other and just seemed relieved that pony camp was over.

I doubted my decision to send her in the first place.

Within a week or two she was crying about missing pony camp and telling me she wanted to do it again next summer.

Sometimes I think her delay in language processing extends to a delay in processing experiences.

Just thought I'd share my (new) perspective. YMMV :001_smile:

How wonderful, Camy!

My son had a similar experience with wrestling last year. It was so difficult for him, and if one counts successes by a win-loss record, his season would surely fall into the category of failure.

But he did persevere, he struggled through each practice and every match, and he seemed to be relieved when it was over.

Then he handed me a pamphlet for a week-long wrestling camp that was held over the summer.

I was so surprised, and so happy to see him really work at something that didn't come naturally.

The camp was difficult, too, but he's already looking forward to the next wrestling season beginning in the spring.:)