Menu

Math for next year

We are trying to figure out what math to use next year. DD8 is working on Math+Red with k12 (4th grade). Any suggestions on what might be worth checking into? She doesn't intuitively get math but works hard and once she knows it she doesn't tend to forget it. I was somewhat curious as to whether Math in Focus might be worth looking into.

Also DS9 is working on Algebra 1 through k12 as well - I'm not sure if I want to have him go on to Geometry, do another Alg 1 program like AOPS, or do some other sideways moves to some fun math that's just different.

Are you sticking with the K12VA? If so, what options do you have? I know one reason why I didn't go with the TNVA K12 program was the lack of flexibility in math.

You might want to look at Beast Academy. 3rd grade is completely out, as is part of 4th grade and the rest should be out next year. There probably won't be a 5th grade in time for your DD, though, because the release schedule is slow. Math in Focus is a version of Singapore math, and I like Singapore (My DD used New Primary Maths until middle school math, when she did a year of LOF and then moved to AOPS.). I'm all for AOPS for strong math students. I actually had my DD repeat pre-algebra using AOPS, because even though she'd already covered pre-algebra skills, the concepts and depths of the question are so much more in AOPS. I'd definitely consider looking at AOPS beginning algebra (which goes through not only algebra 1 but a good chunk of Algebra 2) for your son next year-there will likely be some topics he's already seen, but the applications and the challenge problems will be worth the time spent.

As a previous math teacher, when someone says they (or their child) don't intuitively get math, I tend to think that the traditional approach just isn't working instead of the child not being able to grasp mathematics.  There are 6 different ways to explain addition, but normally only about 2 or 3 (max) are covered in a program.  Especially if you are using K12.  If you don't get it in one of those very limited ways, you are just out of luck.  This leads to many students feeling like they "don't get math."  That isn't true.  What they mean is, they don't get math that way.  Do you know your child's learning style?  I would do a learning style profile before looking into any specific curriculum.  There are no bad curriculums, merely bad fits for a specific student.

Here is what I have found from tutoring and working with various math curriculums:

AoPS: Critical thinking program, designed to help those who are out of the box thinkers since no process is given or demanded. Process is up to the student and often referred to as the "discovery method."  Very light on actual problems to solve.  Definitely not a drill and kill method.

Singapore: Much more spacial learners, designed with an integrated approach which is big picture learning first then smaller pieces.  This program needs to be used front to back for most kids because the content is considered "out of order" from the traditional U.S. system.

Math-U-See and Right Start Math: Visual learners, and not heavy on rigor.  If your child wants a math focused career, this one won't work long term.  However, it is fantastic for many kids to really understand the basics if they are visual.  The manipulates can get pricey if you don't find them used, or just invent your own manipulates if the student is okay with that. 

Abeka: This one has holes (like major holes) between Pre-Alegbra and Algebra.  They did a major shift in their company at this time and it shows.  It works very well before, and very well after.  Many kids find it rocky for a bit during the transition. The pace is quite quick, so do a pretest to see where your child might fall in the curriculum.

Saxon: Concrete, linear, analytic thinkers.  You either love it or hate it, but you can't force a kid with this curriculum. This one works fabulously if you have a drill and kill kid, or a student who likes a slower pace so they know they get it.  I LOVED drill and kill in school, so I know those kids exist.  It is set up for the student to get major practice at problems which look like the tests they might take later (ACT, SAT, College entrance, etc) with a very traditional approach.  This is the reason most kids test better when they have used Saxon for years. 

Khan Academy and Teaching Textbooks: Child uses a computer to watch videos for instruction.  Short sets of problems are given, help is provided in terms of the same process being shown over and over.  The approach is designed to have a child get practice with a specific process, much like a textbook, but in a visual format where you can watch over and over, pause, or speed up.  In Khan badges are earned to show understanding, and frequently refreshed through spiral problems every so many days.  In Teaching Textbooks, parents can check on scores for students and keep a running record of progress.  Each test can be retaken once by the student. 

Life of Fred: This is great for a literary kid as the books are more of a story format.  They are also incredibly silly.  I have only known 2 families which have used this as their only math curriculum.  Many people use it as their core, but supplement with problems sets of another curriculum.  The complaint I have heard most is that it is not "full" enough to be a stand alone curriculum, though it is one of the best supplements for many kids as it presents problems and discussions in silly, interesting ways to get them thinking critically about math concepts.

I am probably missing a major one, but I can't seem to think of anymore at the moment.

We are currently not planning on using the Virtual Academy next year so are looking at other options than using k12's math. I do have the 5th grade math for her so would just need to pay for the online portion if we choose to stick with k12 math.

Thanks for the huge post on the various programs EndofOrdinary!! That will be extremely helpful as I hadn't considered some of the info you had posted.

DD is a full grade ahead on math even though she doesn't get it naturally like her brother. She is good at math it just has to be explained well for her to understand it but when it clicks she is golden. She is by no means struggling with it just not as natural to her as to her brother. She does actually enjoy k12 math so sticking with it may be the best option.

We have the first two BA books and they love to read the guides but we haven't really used the practice books much since she still had to do her k12 math. DS also loves all the Murderous Math books so those are ready regularly (between 5-10 times each last year alone)