Menu

Looking for advice on writing plan for 6th grader.

Kristine in VA

Hey,

I have been re-reading my WTM and notes that I have on teaching writing from Susan's workshops, and I've put together a plan for my 6th grader's writing. Last year we did 1-level outlines for history, and he seems fairly comfortable with that. So this year I was thinking he should do 2-level outlines of history and/or science twice a week, 1 summary each week (4-5 sentences) on a history or science topic he chooses (I will probably choose sometimes), and 1 summary each week on the plot or a plot element of the literature he is reading. We will also write 1-2 letters a month.

Does that sound reasonable? Should I be thinking about something else or other skills to introduce, such as how to take notes, compare/contrast, or cause/effect writing or maybe that is a high school skill? We are using R&S 6 grammar so I could work in their writing lessons, but I also don't want to plan too much.

Also I have used Classical Writing Aesop with him in the past which worked well. Maybe I should plan to do Homer and my plan above? I have that feeling I'm missing something, so maybe you all can reassure me!

Thanks for you thoughts,

Kristine in VA

Hi Kristine,

Your writing plan sounds wonderful and I wish I could have gotten my 6th grader to write that much. My goal last year from listening to SWB and CD's was to have DS write 4 times/week short narrations or on a particular topic for his various subjects; 2 in history, 1 in science, 1 in LA, plus do the writing assignment in R&S. Do a 2 to 3 depth outline from history and/or science one time per week. We were also fitting in Classical Composition Narration level---similar to CW Aesop.

It was really too much so I cut out R&S writing assignments and just had us read the assignment together, discuss it and move on.

He did CC about every-other-week.

He did outlines, lots of them and sometimes 2 or 3 per week. He really liked them. I liked it that in CC he took the outline and wrote from it.

He ended up typically doing 2 short narrations or writings on a topic per week. These tended to be one to two pages in length but some were just a few lines in length.

11/12 yo boys are all over the place on how much they can write. I'm in the camp that their fine-motor skills are still developing and it really can hurt to write. If it does hurt then back off but make sure he writes something everyday.

HTH,

Carole