Menu

Help -- Singapore math or Calvert?

provenance61

We are looking at curriculum for next year, when our son will be in 7th grade.  We are currently with Calvert, which is having their annual sale.  Need to decide between Calvert math and paying extra for Singapore math.  I am wondering if others have thoughts on pros/cons of each.

If you haven't used Calvert, but know more about Singapore, can you share your experiences?  DS likes math and is doing wel with the Calvert.  He does the reading and likes to read through the text in order to learn new concepts. 

I am also wondering if anyone can tell me when algebra is introduced in each.

Thanks!

I have used Calvert and have many IRL friends who use Singapore and have extensively seen Singapore, as well as used their Challenge word problems and one year of Singapore.  

IMO, Calvert has wonderful conceptual thinking, and it is also interesting and fun.  I thought the review was way too scattershot and both of my kids were constantly asking me how to do problems and solve things which they had learned several weeks before.  I am glad it worked for you guys, though.  How long have you used Calvert?

Calvert Math ends at 8th grade at which point they use a Prentice Hall Algebra in 9th grade.  The only way to take Algebra in 8th, is if you have used  their earlier books a year ahead.  

The problem with switching to Singapore for 8th grade, is that it is a completely different style of teaching.  The concepts are rearranged to cover less per year, but in more depth, with less year-to-year review.  So, not only would your son probably not be able to solve problems with bar models, but you would be likely to miss out on some key concepts that may have been covered in earlier years of Singapore. 

So, if you are doing great with Calvert, I would say to stick with it.  

DD is using Calvert 7th grade math now (in 6th grade), about half way through.  She has used Calvert since 3rd. I did look at the benefits of moving over to Math in Focus for 7th, but decided this was not a good point to jump across as the scope and sequence is quite different and we would both have to get used to a different teaching method.  I also consulted the education counsellors on this point as well. 

7th grade has her solving equations such as 2x + 3 = -7, and getting used to using equations to represent problems and then solving them andI understand that is a more advanced progression than MIF.  8th grade will extend this and solidify everything ready for Algebra 1. If you want to take Algebra 1 with Calvert without going through all the previous levels you can do so if successful with the placement test. I have not told DD that as I want her to have a solid foundation even if she would like Algebra 1 now!

We are accelerating as DD is finding a lot of her math is review of 6th (which is no bad thing as a lot of material was covered), so will 'probably' finish 7 by May, and finish 8 by the end of 2014.

I am waiting to see whether Calvert's Algebra 1 course, for high school starting Fall 2014, will still be the Prentice Hall text.

Thank you both!  Just to clarify, we are looking at 7th grade for next year.  Our DS was in public school through 3rd grade, and has been doing Calvert for 4, 5, and this year grade 6.

I appreciate the concern about switching midstream, and possibly missing some concepts.  I have read about many people changing curricula frequently, and later finding gaps. We really want to avoid this.

I wonder if we stay with Calvert for 7th grade math, possibly there is a way to find a Singapore supplement to use as well?  Would there be any advantages to doing this?

Agreed with Calming Tea - I don't think you need to supplement Calvert math at this stage of math as it is quite solid across the range of skills.  Some people do use Singapore word problems as a supplement, but I don't see Calvert as being weak in that area. What we did was to play with Hands on Equation and the Dragon Box app when we felt like a break, rather than another curriculum.

I wouldn't worry about Calvert math not being good enough. I know two families who have used Calvert. In both cases, their kids did well enough that were both recommended to go into algebra in 8th grade after finishing Calvert 7 in 7th grade. Both continued to well in their high school math programs and scored over 700 on the math portion of the SAT.

This is so helpful.  So, is there any real downside to staying with Calvert math?  I know every program has its pros and cons.  So what would be the less strong areas in Calvert math?

My husband is an engineer and our DS enjoys math and is definitely in the same mindset.  So just want to be able to cover all angles.

I'm not familiar with Dragon Box or hands-on equations--can you tell me more about them?  What kinds of things do they give that we wouldn't have already?

It didn't work for my son because he needs a lot of repetition.  But I feel that it is a good solid math program. If you use it properly with the manual reviews, and making sure to review if your kids forget certain skills.  I don't see any reason to switch at this point.  It's obviously working.

My son really loved it when we used it...it was a bummer that it did not work for him.

My dd will actually probably go back to Calvert Math for 5-8th grades.  

So...I think you should just stay the course.

BUT I love dragon box.  My dd is solving real algebraic equations now with dragon box.  

Thank you Momling...we also have a daughter in 1st that I just pulled this year.  We are actually using a Scott Foresman-Addison Wesley Mathematics book, it is the same she was using in PS and we just continued since our HS curriculum did not have a math.  Would it be worth switching her to Singapore then for rest of early elementary?  And then if so, could we choose another later on or would there be gaps if she was used to the Singapore?

I would definitely switch your first grader to Singapores MIF, because although they say they won't discontinue the Calvert in very very skeptical long term. So for your first grader I would switch her to the Singapore.

Scott Foresman is pretty widely hated in all homeschool reviews I've ever read. I think it's fun for first and second but I would not want to use it after that.

I'd move your first grader.  I've done enough bouncing around math curricula to know that Singapore is my favorite.  It's not intimidating and straightforward. We solve the textbook problems together orally and then I have kids do the workbook independently. CWP comes later, but we usually all work them out and compare.  I don't know about the MIF, but Primary Math (Standards) has been a success.

My DD has loved MIF 1st Grade.  Had my 4th grader started with MIF, I don't think we'd have the issues we have now.  I do wonder, however, what sort of teaching manual Calvert supplies.  I know they do a great one with the Calvert Math, but for MIF, do they give you the Teacher's Guides from the publisher…create their own…or are you on your own? (If on your own, you can access the Teaching Guides for free (and also see all the books in their entirety through the Virtual Sampling program.)

• 2 months later...

I'm in the same boat with my 3rd grader. We're switching our of public school which had been using Everyday Math for the last 2 years, and it's HORRIBLE! Her school is actually paying for it due to failure on their part of providing an appropriate education (FAPE law violation), so price is not an issue. She is at a3rd grade level according to Calvert's placement test, but behind. There's gaps in 2nd and 3rd skills, and place values is a big struggle for her. I'm trying to decide between Calvert's standard curriculum or Math in Focus. We'll be using their Verticy program (for struggling/learning challenged kids) with both online and offline work, and their teaching service as well.

Any suggestions?