Menu

Favorite online writing class? Brave Writer?

We've taken many of the classes, except for the new classes developed during the last few years, and they were all excellent.

Kidswrite Basic

Kidswrite Intermediate

ACT/SAT Prep

Expository Essay

Write for Fun

American Literature (Not offered currently, but I know the other lit classes are equally good.)

Talk with Julie about placement.  She really understands how to develop teen writers.

We have done KW basic and intermediate. Loved them both. Planning next on expository.

These courses have given my son back his confidence. He's an creative, thoughtful, natural writer who needs some structure to his writing. An inflexible, negative teacher at his traditional school destroyed his love of writing. Bravewriter brought it back.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of feedback have you received from these classes?  I am looking for a way to get some outside "coaching" in writing for my 11 year old (maybe next year when he's 12).  However, I see that on Brave Writer all the comments are public so they do no "embarrass" the kids.  I definitely want feedback.  How can my kid move his writing to the next level, regardless of what level he's at?

Would I get that from Brave Writer?  Brownie

I think it's important to consider what kind of format works for you.  Is it live or asynchronous?  We tried a one semester writing class last year with an asynchronous format and found that that format does not work at all for us.  It seemed so impersonal and disconnected.  I thought the flexibility and personal response aspect would be great; not for us.  I am very happy that we explored this format before it really mattered (it was inexpensive and did not have any impact for dd as an 8th grader).  Dd thrives in the live format.  I won't choose any asynchronous class now, regardless of high reviews.  This means that we have to reject some pretty impressive sounding courses but it's been a valuable lesson learned.