Menu

Talk to me about Further Up and Further In

happypamama

I think it's about time to read Narnia as a family again (been 5 years), and FUFI seems like a good book. I don't want it for the science or history. But for literature discussion, Bible, and some fun stuff, it should have plenty of that, right, especially for K, 4th, and 7th? I also want to have my 7th grader read some of Lewis's other works, maybe.

What has been your experience with FUFI and a large family?

I have no experience with a large family, but we are using FUFI for literature study and fun stuff (no science, history, or Bible), and it's working very well for that. It's been a lot of fun and good at what we're using it for. I don't plan to have DD (4th/5th grade) read Of Other Worlds or Surprised by Joy, since they both have some fairly mature content, but they would be good for a 7th grader. 

I have no experience with a large family, but we are using FUFI for literature study and fun stuff (no science, history, or Bible), and it's working very well for that. It's been a lot of fun and good at what we're using it for. I don't plan to have DD (4th/5th grade) read Of Other Worlds or Surprised by Joy, since they both have some fairly mature content, but they would be good for a 7th grader.

Thank you -- just what I wanted to know. I think I should read Of Other Worlds and Surprised By Joy before I assign them to her, but both sound interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

SilverMoon -- I just wanted to come back to this thread and thank you for the additional resources you mentioned. I ordered all three of the other Narnia books and have been perusing them. The Keys looks amazing -- I think I will hit a few of its highlights with my youngers but mostly have them just enjoy the stories. However, I think my 7th grader will really appreciate the allusions, inside jokes, etc., so I will have her read each chapter after we finish the corresponding book. ROAR looks like fun, and the other book looks like it'll be the perfect Bible lesson book. I still need to get FUFI, but I think we will have a blast! (And, unlike the past four years, I don't expect to be pregnant or have a small baby, so hopefully I will actually have some time and energy to get to all the cool stuff.)

So glad you enjoyed them! :) I didn't read Keys to the Chronicles to my little ones either, but if I read it myself in advance they got some "top-down" teaching benefits during the discussions.

We've *really* enjoyed that Ditchfield book for Bible. If it helps, since we like to start our day with Bible we ran it one day behind FUFI. For example, Monday we'd work through chapter 5 in the Ditchfield book, and later that day we'd read chapter 6 in Narnia, and do the 6 work in FUFI/ROAR. Then on Tuesday we'd do 6 Bible, and 7 FUFI/ROAR. Hopefully that makes sense.

Have fun! :D

Makes total sense, and that's exactly what I was planning to do! We will read Narnia either at lunch or bedtime (or both), and then we'll do the chapter's Bible lesson the next morning at breakfast, which is when we do our Bible and memory work. I'm glad to hear that plan worked well!

I'm loving this thread. I have FUFI so I think we'll buy some of these extra books and study Narnia next year.

Glad to inspire you! I got them all from amazon, dirt cheap. Even though they all said used, they're like new except for some highlighting in one, and I paid a total of $12 for all three, so definitely check amazon first.

Glad to inspire you! I got them all from amazon, dirt cheap. Even though they all said used, they're like new except for some highlighting in one, and I paid a total of $12 for all three, so definitely check amazon first.

. Awesome! Thanks! I bought FUFI used about a hundred years ago and barely cracked the cover. But these supplements have me excited to use it!

Silvermoon - your other posts on FUFI (and other topics, too!) have been so helpful for me...one more question for you.  I'm thinking of doing this next year - my participating kiddos will be 6th and 3rd.  I'm planning to utilize this as our "Read Aloud" literature...  but thinking I would still assign lit selections for my 6th grader.  Is that how you would handle it for a 6th grader?